SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, today all of the bulbs on my instrument panel went out on my 2005 S40 2.4i. Everything is working (Speedometer, Tachometer, DIM, Fuel level) but at night I can't even see how much I am going.. Can I replace the bulbs on the instrument panel ? I tried to remove it today by removing the 2 screws on the white plastic but couldn't take off the whole panel. Please advice. Thank you

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Not easily, they are surface mount LEDs. If everything went out all at once I'd check fuses & connections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thank you for your quick response, I am going to try and replace them but I have troubles taking off the whole Instrument Panel ! Have anyone ever took it off and can explain me the procedure ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and opened my instrument cluster but couldn't replace none of all LEDs. Is it possible to get a new instrument cluster from ebay with the same part number and plug it in my car ? Do I have to get it reprogrammed from a dealer or it's just plug and play. Thank you for your quick response

·
Registered
180 Posts
Those LEDs do not all burn out at the same time. One failing is rare, all at once makes no diagnostic sense at all. The DIM has a fuse, but not sure if the LEDs have their own fuse. It's some kind of failure in the electric bits, but not burnt out LEDs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I wanted to keep you updated about my issue. Soldering the LED's into the circuit board DID work and the cluster is working properly now :partywave:
Here are some picture of the process

They are 6 LEDs to solder, 2 for Speedometer 2 for Tachometer and 1 each for Oil temperature and Fuel Level

Equivalent LEDs that I got from DigiKeys.

Thank you pczeilon for showing me the existing thread.

Happy that I could fix this issue for 5$ that was quoted 1600$ by the dealer, for a brand new cluster.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi everyone, I wanted to keep you updated about my issue. Soldering the LED's into the circuit board DID work and the cluster is working properly now :partywave:
Here are some picture of the process

They are 6 LEDs to solder, 2 for Speedometer 2 for Tachometer and 1 each for Oil temperature and Fuel Level

Equivalent LEDs that I got from DigiKeys.

Thank you pczeilon for showing me the existing thread.

Happy that I could fix this issue for 5$ that was quoted 1600$ by the dealer, for a brand new cluster.
interesting. would you be able to change the color or is that from some sort of filter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The LED's are indeed super bright. Phish unfortunately there is a green filter behind the gauges so no matter what color do you use it will appear green. Not sure if you can remove the filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I need to replace the LED's for my Speedometer and Tach. Do you know which LEDs you ordered? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I transferred LED's from $40 donor DIM. I believe there are several types used on the board.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts