SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm deviating a bit from my previous stealthfulness by extended my red and black theme, something I'm thinking of doing once my engine is back in is adding a solid black speed stripe to the top of the car.

I'm thinking of something the same width as the blacked out grill starting about an inch back from the tip of the hood. Something much like the following pic of the idea applied to a modern mustang.

Love it, hate it or just meh, opinions are always greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Someone did double stripes on an SR that looked awesome. I could see a single looking good. Someone needs to exercise their photoshop skills and let us see what this would look like.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like it will only take about $50 of 3M satin black auto vinyl to run one all the way back to the truck lid so I will soon have a real world example if no one is creative enough to photoshop it first.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Stealthy!

IMHO - the stripe/s look good but the S60R is very busy at the front and back of the car - particularly the back. If you avoid that and just do the hood, roof and top of the trunk, I think that will look much better - just like the mustang pic above. The problem is, I know of no one else who has don't this on an R. There was a father and son on here a while ago that had matching silver with blue stripes and blue with silver stripes (I think?!). If you can find their pics you will see what I mean about the back.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
It looks like I'm the "Lone Ranger" on this, but --- No, please please please, No!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Please don't do anything as big and/or wide as the Mustang. What I would do is 2 stripes that follow the lines of the hood somehow, make it look natural.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had actually thought about this for a while too and put a white one on my Sonic SR I'm assuming there are pictures somewhere but this is the best I could find...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think it will look good, but it will definatly kill the sleeper aspect from a cops point of view.

Hell, switching from black sapphire V70R to Sonic Blue Volv70R made a huge difference in how many police notice me.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
^ This. I personally think it ought to look nice if executed properly, but it will draw more attention. Up to you. I like my plain jane electric silver w/o body kit and factory silver peg appearance. Only the exhaust note and spool of the Cavalli turbo give it away. My S4 is silver as well, but with black wheels and a black carbon roof wrap... it really draws a lot more attention as subtle as those mods are. With the R, when I lay into it, I often notice people looking around for a modded sports car and then they're like WTF, that's a Volvo?

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Between my driving style, the noise and the visible intercooler for those who know what that means I do realize my previous stealthfullyness has been borderline at best.

One thing I've learned after a lifetime of being pulled over for a lot of moving violations is that police treatment/harassment and profiling go hand in hand.

They way I was treated as a young long haired punk driving around souped up bikes and imports was completely different from how I was treated once I was older and respectable looking while driving everything from exotics like a porsche 930 to more plain jane cars like the R.

Most times I've been pulled over its because I've been caught on radar exceeding the speed limit, and from that point on how well you will be treated, including being let off if you are lucky, is all about how much the cop likes you.

At this point in my life I've learned that being a respectable looking white man driving a volvo is a great niche to be in when it comes to how I'm treated by law enforcement. The tweakage of my volvo really doesn't seem to impact that negatively so far. So for that reason I hope that making the tweakage a bit more obvious isn't going to hurt my visibility or treatment from law enforcement negatively in any way.

Plus with my stock red black trim and new black and red wheel scheme I think it will be a good look. If not I can just peel it right off. If it does work it also has the advantage of coving up a scratch on the roof of my car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts