SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 70 started doing the clunking again in the first 2 gears only and I noticed when its shifting from 1 to 2 in kind of revs a lil higher real quick then shifts hard like I'm driving stick and shifting while still holding the gas. I was reading online and came to thinking that it might be the speed sensor? I have all the symptoms but I was wondering if anyone else had this experience? I noticed it started happening after my 70 shredded a tire on the highway doing 80 and one of my father in law's friends, who owns a shop, said that when the tire shreds off like that, sometimes it can mess up the speed sensor because the tire debris can slap the sensor wiring and all sortsa stuff in the fender well. Anybody have any input? I don't know how I would test the sensor to see if its working. I have one of them digital multimeters if I need to do something with that because I've tested other sensors on my other cars before but was just wondering if anyone knows what it should read. Also when my car does this hard shifting, on the dash I get a warning light that blinks like two or three times then goes away after it shifts. I think its the traction warning light, not sure, I'll look at it tomorrow when I drive it again. Hoping someone can help me out cuz a speed sensor is $230 on fcpeuro

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sounds like an ABS issue...if the ABS speed sensor (not the AT speed sensor, this one is cheaper, so there's a plus) got damaged (and I could easily see that in a high-speed blow-out), it might be causing an ABS error, which could flash the traction/abs lights. I'd also wonder if the rubber didn't hit the wire of that sensor, rather than the sensor, so just check both out.
The way I've read to test these is to test the resistance at the plug. I don't know the correct resistance, maybe you can find it via a google search. I found a site that said on '98-'01's they should read between 900-1380 ohms. Basically, if it reads too high or not at all, they're bad.

My ABS light goes off a couple times a year, and when it does, it always makes my shifts feel harsh (and I have a manual) it feels to me like I'm losing power between shifts. It's not the transmission but something it's doing with the engine management, but I can't really explain. I just restart the car, and that's almost always fixed it for a another couple weeks-months.
Have you tried having it scanned? Worth a try to see if it stored the code.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had it scanned cuz my reader took a crap on me a few weeks ago but it sounds a lot like what you were explaining happens to yours too. I'm hoping that's all it is and not the tranny cuz I don't wanna hafta replace a tranny but I will if I have to lol. They're like 3 grand lol wtf

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I had it scanned and no stored codes. i just purchased am extended warranty on the car since I just barely hit 95k miles so Ima drive it til it breaks down and let them fix it lol all i pay is $100 deductible

Sent with Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts