SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple of days I have noticed the V50 making a supercharger (ie belt)-like whine, at least at low speeds, from roughly 20-30mph at which point it either goes away or gets drowned out. Have done a little testing and it appears to be speed-related, as opposed to throttle/revs. Increases in pitch as speed goes up, comes back down as the car slows. Also does not appear to matter whether in 2nd or 3rd gear. AC has been off.

Search has turned up possible PCV issue (seems not quite right but have not tried dipstick test), alternator or other belt not quite right. Any further guidance would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
does it sound almost like its coming from behind your glove box// right side of car?
I had a belt whine noise only between 20-30 mph too, almost sounded like it was something in the dash near the glove box. I never found out what it actually was but the noise lasted only a few weeks and i never heard it again for the next two years.
Timing belt and aux belts were all replaced some time after that but it went away before i had them replaced so i dont know if it was related.
It sounded a bit like a vacuum cleaner or something and increased in pitch directly tied to the cars speed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to pay closer attention. I played around some yesterday and I think it is keyed to engine speed and seems most apparent when the car is in gear (2nd or 3rd).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts