SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking @ Dunlop SP Sport Max in the 235/40/R18 size. You can purchase this tire in the YR18 (XL) load rating or the ZR18 (SL) load rating. YR load rating is 1521 lbs, and the ZR load rating is for 1356lbs.

IN YOUR OPINION, in the striving to minimize side-hop, what is the best tire to get - one with a higher load rating, or one with a lower load rating. Presumably, the higher load rating has a stiffer sidewall.

I have a S60R, and max load for me is me, wife, 2 young kids. Can't be more than 375 lbs total. Trunk is empty.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Speed Rating & Side-Hop Question (Short Circuit)

IMO, XL all the way. That is what is recommended and may also help prevent tire bubbles versus a non XL rated tire. I'll be anxious for your feedback on this tire since I am leaning towards it as well.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Speed Rating & Side-Hop Question (Short Circuit)

I'm not sure the load rating necessarily affects/impoves the side-hop problem. I think it comes down to the overall design and construction of the tire.

The OEM P-Zero Rosso's are YR and those tires make the side-hop worse than any other tire any owner here has talked about.

I have 18" YR PS2's and like other owners have commented, the PS2's improve the side-hop problem in sport and advanced mode (some say they make comfort mode worse, I don't notice it much but even so I'd say it's a good trade-off).

LTA

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Speed Rating & Side-Hop Question (LTA)

The question for the sidehop issue is this: does sidewall strength effect the sidehop tendency, and if so, how to minimize: hard sidewall (think stock Pirelli's), or softer sidewall (think PS2's)?

Or is it the construction of the tire somehow, and thus the strength of the sidewall is immaterial to the sidehop experience?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think spring is more important than tires in side hop issue.
My experience is :
stock spring with stock pierlli: hop like crazy, hop over every gap on the road
stock spring with hardd sidewall(bridgestone s-03):no improvement
stiffer spring(Eibach) with hard sidewall(s-03):you can feel it's going to hop but the spring stop it
stiffer spring with soft sidewall(Contential CSC2): 95% improvement, only hop in worst case

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (liu0588)

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. SO, independant of springs, which I acknowledge is very important, I think the softer sidewall tires are the better choice for the R's than the harder walls. OK...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts