SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am going to be doing my headgasket, and i work for bmw, but i know special volvo tools are needed, the cam alignment tools are a must, but i was told i need a tool for a valve seat seal? and a valve cover removal tool. any body framiliar with this? also any idea where i can get the tools, and or borrow them from? or any substitutions, because i think a universal cam locking tool will work fine, but i am not sure about the others.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
anybody know of any alternatives to these? it says there is 7 needed special volvo tools, and i dont want to go to the dealer, they quoted me 2300 in just labor...
I'd recommend getting a quote from Swedish Motors... close to Borton Volvo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yeah i called him and he never returned my call, so im going to try again.

edit: i just called him, im getting a quote from him, i will also be getting the head shaved as it should be, but i will be in a tight deadline as i leave for school on the 18th.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Search special tool loan I know someone maybe technicalminded posted a while ago about loaning out special tools.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You don't need any special tools. Really, you don't. You can make due with a regular (large) set/variety of tools which any shop would carry. Cam locking tool isn't needed indefinitely. There are pry points on the valve cover, and the head in which you can get a pry bar or large flathead screwdriver in to pop it off. You need a valve lapping tool (only if you're lapping the valves!), which you can get at advanced auto parts for $10, and valve grinding compound for $5. You don't need a roller. You will need a good torque wrench and torque angle gauge.

It's a combustion engine, it's really not that different from any other car... If you've had previous experience replacing head gaskets, it shouldn't be much of a problem for you. Just don't lose any bolts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts