SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone my wife spoke with recently mentioned special permits to be able to drive in different locations. Anyone here have experience with having to get special permits, perhaps something like a registration, to be able to drive in various places? Or, is this a bunch of hogwash? We'll be going to Sweden (duh), Denmark, Germany, France, Italy and Austria. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I know of some roads in New Zealand you need a permit to drive on ... but that's way off topic!

For the Volvo OSD - NO special permits necessary. Volvo provides you with a Swedish registration in your name (what the heck, you own the car!) and insurance. Default insurance is for 14 days and you can buy more if your stay is longer.

Europe has a harmonised system for registration and insurance - the insurance is valid in an ever increasing number of countries. Basically everywhere from Iceland (if you can figure out how to get your car there) from all of western Eu to the Mediterranean to eastern Europe and even Russia. Technically that means you can pick up your car in Sweden and drive it almost all the way to Japan. But since you're only going to be in a few countries you should have no problems.

I would recommend that you consider getting the international driver's permit (dang - its late, it may not necessarily be called exactly that) which you can get from the AAA if you're in the US. It is not a driving license but instead a translation into a number of languages what your home state license priv's are.

Lastly - there are a few roads in Europe that you have to have a tax sticker to drive on. I can't think of any in Denmark, Germany, France or Italy - not sure about Austria. For sure Switzerland. As you're doing your route planning just check into that ... or post on here and I'm sure someone will have input.

BTW: picked up my 2013 XC90 OSD in April ... have not got it yet - its sitting (for a week plus) on a dock somewhere in NJ.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RP--the tax sticker is probably what she heard about. We'll look into it a bit more just to check. The only part I'm really concerned about is from Gothenburg to Hamburg. I know we'll pay a fee to cross the Oresund Bridge, but haven't heard of any other tolls. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Tightwad: We drove from Gothenburg to Amsterdam via Copenhagen (Oresund Bridge), Rodby Ferry, and Hamburg -- no special permits required. Of course there was a toll on the bridge and fare for the ferry. On the way back from Belgium to Gothenburg (via Hamburg, Odense, and Helsingor) we had a bridge toll between Danish islands and the ferry toll back to Sweden.

We did run into highway tolls in France -- payable at tollbooths like a US turnpike. I've heard that some cities have "tolls" (congestion charges) but other than London and Stockholm, don't know which.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all--I did find some more info after seeing some responses here, and it does sound that Austria is the only country on our list wherein we need a special "vignette" to drive around. The beauty is that we know 3 families in Germany that we will be staying with, so they have personal knowledge to assist us in our day trips to France, Austria and Italy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You need a sticker to drive on Austrian autobahn and a different one for Switzerland. You can buy them at the boarder crossings. No special permits for Germany or Italy!

BTW you MUST carry a proper emergency vest for Austria. If you are on the highway, you must wear this highly visible frock. It's also available for purchase along side the nice sticker for your use of the highway.

Happy motoring (study the speed limits everywhere!)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
France also requires the vest. I picked one up at the second filling station. Look for the area with car supplies (oil, light bulbs, etc.).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've had a couple OSD customers that travelled through the Czech Republic on their adventures, there are requirements for motorway vignettes to be bought and properly displayed on the windshield for the highways, additionally they require the safety vest and approved first aid kits. Whatever country you plan to drive in, I suggest googling "driving in xxxxxx" <insert country name here) and explore their regulations and requirements.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts