SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a vehicle in stock at a local dealer, and I'm interested in it. It was a special order (it has Homelink, but not the rest of the Convenience Package), and apparently, the deal didn't go through.

Do you think that this can help from a price negotiation standpoint? Or does it really not make any difference given the market?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am by far no expert, but I would think you might get some sort of leverage to deal. It really depends on your area and how fast they are selling. I ended up ordering mine since after driving a fully loaded Inscription, I fell in love with all of the bells & whistles that I had initially convinced myself I didn't need. My dealer let me keep the demo for three days, and when I decided I didn't want that particular car, he offered for me to drive a Momentum+. I turned it down as I didn't want to put mileage on a car that did not have all of the features I now wanted. I did not like the color of the Inscription and didn't want all of the features on it, but I wanted more features than were on the Momentum+ that was sitting on the lot. The Inscription had 2500 miles on it and he immediately dropped the price off of the features I didn't want plus $1000 more off. It brought it down to roughly $6500 below MSRP. Then the day I went to order my car, he got another one on his lot (still not the color and missing two of the features I wanted) and said he would drop $2500 off of the price to take that one. Regretfully, I figured if I was going to spend that much on a car, I wanted it the exact way I wanted it, and so I didn't get as good of a deal. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, which I am fine with as some of the later cars are coming with the updates that earlier cars are missing. I really wish I could have done the OSD, but decided that with my kid's schedules, it was just too up in the air. Also, I would have taken them so it really would have cost me more money. (I just wish the automatic 3rd row had made it onto the MY16s.) Good luck. I'm hope my "non-answer" helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does help -- thanks! I guess nobody really knows the answer, it will depend on the dealer.

I've looked at the "local" (within 2 1/2 hours driving distance) dealers in my area, and have counted 12 vehicles with the exterior and interior colors that I want, all with the options that I want. That seems like a lot of them. I'm hoping this will work to my advantage.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is quite interesting, "it has Homelink, but not the rest of the Convenience Package". How do you special order that. It's so silly that Volvo doesn't make the Homelink standard equipment.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Whatever the situation - Volvo made the vehicle and (probably) has their money ... so someone is financing the vehicle being there - Volvo, the bank, or the dealer itself. I would think there is always incentive for a dealer to move something from inventory (versus take a build to spec order from a buyer). The longer it sits - the more money is being tied up or financed. (But my guess is with the success of the XC90 these vehicles don't sit long!)

Only once have I purchased a new vehicle from a dealer's inventory - it happened to have all the options I wanted (and none I didn't want) and the right colors. I normally custom order my vehicles - the most important facet in my buying decision is to get the exact config I'm looking for.

But I also think it is important to have a working relationship with a dealership ... as they are your first line of defense with the auto manufacturer. So my second most important criteria is the dealer and post sales support. (And for the complexity and functionality of the 2016 XC90 I think this is important.)

Interesting that you've done the research to find similar vehicles in a 2.5 hour radius! In 2001 I purchased a Toyota by sending a fax to approximately 20 dealerships within a 90 minute drive. I also visited two of the local Toyota dealerships to test drive a vehicle and left them with the same config info and RFQ. I got pricing back from about half the dealers. Of the two local dealers only one got back to me (crazy?!) - and the one that didn't was the closest one. I got back to them and they finally did give me a price - but it was a few thousand dollars higher (would have been #4). I ended up purchasing the vehicle from a dealer about 60 minutes away - smooth, easy transaction. And I took it to the closest dealer for service which was lackluster. I don't know if it was because I didn't purchase the vehicle there ... or they were just poorly run - its was the primary reason why we have not purchased another Toyota since.

My last three Volvo purchases have been OSD orders and all through my local Volvo dealer. And while Volvo is not my local dealer's major focus (at one point they've had Audi, Porsche, Saab and Volvo under the same roof - and other brands including VW nearby) they've treated me right after the sale.

I guess this is another non-answer ... other than to say haggle to the best of your ability but also consider your expectations of after sales support from a dealer as well - and that experience may be better when you get your support from the dealership you purchase the vehicle at.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If this dealer has a special order vehicle (e.g., one a buyer put a deposit down on and they ordered for the buyer - versus one they ordered for their own inventory) it is likely that they may have kept a non-refundable deposit.
This is illegal, in California.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
This is quite interesting, "it has Homelink, but not the rest of the Convenience Package". How do you special order that. It's so silly that Volvo doesn't make the Homelink standard equipment.
It could have been a port-installed accessory on a non-Convenience package car.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I don't think you have as much leverage as you think. If it were a demo or a mgr-driven car, then you can be more aggressive.
In the end, though, if you're happy with the car and it's what you want, just buy it and have a good time.
Worrying about a few thousand dollars over the life of the car likely isn't worth the headache.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
There is a vehicle in stock at a local dealer, and I'm interested in it. It was a special order (it has Homelink, but not the rest of the Convenience Package), and apparently, the deal didn't go through.

Do you think that this can help from a price negotiation standpoint? Or does it really not make any difference given the market?
I think if those options are not in demand, the dealer may be more likely to sell it at a discount. I think there is no harm in asking, but I wouldn't expect more than $1000 off or so.

I agree with the above comments about homelink. I feel that the homelink, compass, grocery bag holder, 12v power, cargo area could probably be added to all models at negligible cost. They are kept as part of the convenience package to encourage the up-sell of the ACC/pilot assist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts