SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2005 s40 awd I have the basic sound system with the amp in the back. Ever since I bought the car the speakers sounded as if they where blown (almost no low frequency output and a very distorted tone overall). I assumed that I could just listen to each speaker individually and just replace the ones that sounded bad, but after checking each speaker I have deduced that they all sound equally broken.

My question is if all speakers sound equally blown, is my problem most likely not the speakers themselves? I would hate to buy all new speakers and be left with the same problem. Is there a chance that all the speakers go out at the same rate? Or is it a problem with my amp or head unit? Thanks!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I wouldn’t think it likely that the amp or head unit would do that but I guess it’s possible. It’s probably more likely that the basic paper speakers have all degraded. Premium on p2 line are all Kevlar? And have yellow stickers. Wonder if the s40s are same. I’d buy one of the easiest to replace and see if that fixes it. Then you can buy the whole test of the set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t think it likely that the amp or head unit would do that but I guess it’s possible. It’s probably more likely that the basic paper speakers have all degraded. Premium on p2 line are all Kevlar? And have yellow stickers. Wonder if the s40s are same. I’d buy one of the easiest to replace and see if that fixes it. Then you can buy the whole test of the set.
Never thought about general degradation of the speakers. Since it is the basic sound system it should be a pretty minimal investment to replace all the speakers (I think 4 woofers and 2 tweeters?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes paper cones can deteriorate over time and the suspension of the cone can rip, tear and fail..

A visual inspection of the speaker cone often confims this immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
My first V50 was blessed to have the Premium Sound System. No so with my present V50, which has the same horrid "Performance" (not high performance) system as you. Unfortunately what you describe is normal for this system even without blown speakers. It starts clipping at about 50% volume. It apparently was not intended for music, but for the stodgy Volvo owner who only listens to NPR and other talk radio. According to the window sticker that I have for my car, the MSRP was $30K in 2005. I would have been p_ssed if I paid that kind of money for that sound system.

Here is what I did to improve the sound quality. Replace the speakers with something decent but easy to drive (Polk Audio, Pioneer, etc). I happened to grab the DynAudio speaker system out of a 2008 but was way too much work. Get an amp out of a junk yard S40/V50 (any year) or some XC90's that has either the High Performance or Premium Sound. The 2008+ T5 cars had High Performance or Premium, while the 2.4i had basic or Premium. The amps are plug-and-play. I have the amp from the 2008 S40 with DynAudio. Also Swap the ICM with a 2005-2006 S40 or V50 with Premium Sound. Later years will not work.

This will vastly improve the sound and its pretty cheap if you can get it from the junk yard instead of ebay or other online.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My first V50 was blessed to have the Premium Sound System. No so with my present V50, which has the same horrid "Performance" (not high performance) system as you. Unfortunately what you describe is normal for this system even without blown speakers. It starts clipping at about 50% volume. It apparently was not intended for music, but for the stodgy Volvo owner who only listens to NPR and other talk radio. According to the window sticker that I have for my car, the MSRP was $30K in 2005. I would have been p_ssed if I paid that kind of money for that sound system.

Here is what I did to improve the sound quality. Replace the speakers with something decent but easy to drive (Polk Audio, Pioneer, etc). I happened to grab the DynAudio speaker system out of a 2008 but was way too much work. Get an amp out of a junk yard S40/V50 (any year) or some XC90's that has either the High Performance or Premium Sound. The 2008+ T5 cars had High Performance or Premium, while the 2.4i had basic or Premium. The amps are plug-and-play. I have the amp from the 2008 S40 with DynAudio. Also Swap the ICM with a 2005-2006 S40 or V50 with Premium Sound. Later years will not work.

This will vastly improve the sound and its pretty cheap if you can get it from the junk yard instead of ebay or other online.
Wait... so I can swap the amp with any model that had the upgraded sound system, as long as I swap out the ICM with a 2005-2006 S40 with Premium Sound?

Ugh... I was at the pick n pull last year and there was one with Premium Sound there.

No compatibility issues with the ICM?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes, any of the amps seem to work. I first swapped a Premium Sound amp from a 2006 and it worked. Then I grabbed the higher wattage DynAudio system amp out of a 2008. Unfortunately I can't access the advanced features like the equalizers and Dolby ProLogic. I was hoping the ICM swap would gain me those features but not. Apparently the DSP is in the CD changer which will not work with our system or at least I haven't figured out how to make it work yet. The wire harness is very different.

The 2005 and 2006 ICM's for the Performance sound and Premium sound are identical hardware but they have different software loaded. For some reason the Premium ICM sounds better but mostly the volume control is better contoured for the better amp. The Performance ICM gets loud way too early.

·
Registered
631 Posts
One other question -- what are the different levels of sound system and the timeframes they were available? Maybe this is in a FAQ somewhere...

"Performance" -- base system (2005-????) May or may not have low-powered external amp in trunk
"Premium" -- upgraded system (2005-????) Has additional amp(s), has three speakers in door ??
Dynaudio -- top level system (????-????) Has Kevlar drivers (yellow cones) ???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, my base-level system in my 2006 S40 does not have the amp in the trunk. Will a Premium amp plug-and-play?
Probably not since the signal is never passed through an amp. I would root around your trunk and see if some wires are left back there

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I don't think you can add the amp to the Base system that has the amp integrated with the CD player.

To the best of my knowledge...

"Performance" -- base system (2004.5-2011) May or may not have low-powered external amp in trunk (true, there were two different systems) 20W x 4, dual-cone woofers front tweeters, single CD

"High Performance" -- (2007-2011 T5) I don't think they put this in the 2.4i, 40W x 4 amp in rear, upgraded speakers, front and rear tweeters, single CD, CD Changer option

"Premium" -- upgraded system (2004.5-2011), some years it was the DynAudio. (2004.5-2007 70W x 4 + 25W center) (2008-2011 130W x 5), amp in rear, upgraded speakers 2-way in rear, 3-way in doors, 2-way center, optional 140W 8" Sub, CD Changer, Dolby ProLogic II

"DynAudio" -- Was the "Premium" system (2008-2010) Poly drivers, soft dome tweeters and midrange., 2-way in rear 3-way in front (midrange moved more forward) and 2-way center, 130W x 5, CD Changer, Dolby ProLogic II

2007 - 2011 added aux input
2008 - 2011 added RDS radio, Sirus Sat Radio, MP3 / WMA capability. (I think HD Radio and iPod)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got an amplifier from a junkyard 2007 s40 with “high performance” setup. Volume has definitely increased. What used to be full volume is now around half volume. However, the speakers still sound pretty bad. Expected this but a full speaker change is needed. Definitely recommended as a cheap and easy upgrade for anyone with ‘05 basic audio.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Very good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts