SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hopefully those who are experiencing this issue are all reporting to Volvo corporate and/or their dealership. The more feedback and complaints they get the faster it'll be resolved!

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Hopefully those who are experiencing this issue are all reporting to Volvo corporate and/or their dealership. The more feedback and complaints they get the faster it'll be resolved!
Volvo NA had access to my car for 5 days so hopefully this fix they pushed works. I haven't had another pop but I could go a month or two without one so we'll see. I'm doing my best to try every combination of drive mode/sound stage/driving type, moreso than I usually would. Not that I need an excuse to hit Polestar more often...

·
Registered
25 Posts
This happened to me about a week ago. '21 XC60 T-8 P* with B&W, around 1k miles on the car. Very loud pop from what I thought was the driver side...sounded like a rock shot up and hit the car or the windshield popped. For context, I was probably driving 20mph in a parking lot, slowing down to make a left hand turn into another aisle, so I assume my left signal was on. Since it kinda shocked me a bit and I immediately parked in a space, I didn't really notice if the sound cut out for the signals or anything else. And I didn't have the radio on at the time. My phone was plugged into carplay so once I determined it wasn't the windshield or something hitting the car, I assumed it was the speakers and had something to do with my phone connection to the car play wire? But it sounds more complicated than that after reading all this. Hasn't happened again since.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T5 Inscription
2 Posts
Joining the club... XC60 2021 T5 with B&W speakers. This happened to me twice yesterday - first time when the turning indicator was blinking (it sounds like something hit the windshield), but the sounds are working fine afterwards, second time is right after I started the engine and operating on the touch screen in the navigation app, this time all sounds are lost, when I pull out I found out the turning indicator is not clicking.
I'm in Australia.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo V60 R-Design T6 AWD PoleStar Optimized, Bursting Blue
6 Posts
Same thing happened to me today, 2021 V60 with B&W using Spotify from the phone shared connection. My wife told me it happened to her once also, she has the orange key. A bit scary, I thought somebody had thrown a big rock in one of my windows, I then realized we had no sound anymore.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Funny story. Not funny haha, more like "funny **** me". I had the tow hitch installed today which came with a software package. Drive home, two speaker pops.

I suspect the trailer package replaced whatever custom hack Volvo had done during my 5 days in service so I guess that's somewhat positive confirmation that their experimental software fix probably works. I hadn't had any in the few weeks I'd been running it.

·
Registered
2021 V60 Polestar Engineered
53 Posts
This happened to me about a week ago. '21 XC60 T-8 P* with B&W, around 1k miles on the car. Very loud pop from what I thought was the driver side...sounded like a rock shot up and hit the car or the windshield popped.
This exact thing happened to me, and I thought, "Damn, my windshield must be busted somewhere!"
2021 V60 PE with 1,500 miles approximately.
Has only happened the one time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, had to register to join the forum just so I can be part of this fun conversation. XC90 '21 owner from Malaysia, Recharge, with the B&W audio system. With all the exact symptoms of audio cutting out with a loud pop. No turn signal ticks, no Sensus clicks, no audio etc until I cycle the car through a 10 minute complete stop and start. I think the common denominator here is that it happens when the turn signals are being used. I hope enough people around the world are experiencing this for Volvo to issue a worldwide software update instead of just being a North American one.

Edit: Would like to also add that I've also noticed a sudden volume increase occasionally when the turn signal is being used. Kinda like 'tick tick tick TICK TICK tick tick'. I think it's odd that Volvo engineered their cars to have all audio and indicator sounds come out of the same speakers instead of having them on separate and independent audio circuits. I mean, the B&W's are nice. But no, I don't need to have my turn signal indicators in concert hall mode.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello everyone, had to register to join the forum just so I can be part of this fun conversation. XC90 '21 owner from Malaysia, Recharge, with the B&W audio system. With all the exact symptoms of audio cutting out with a loud pop. No turn signal ticks, no Sensus clicks, no audio etc until I cycle the car through a 10 minute complete stop and start. I think the common denominator here is that it happens when the turn signals are being used. I hope enough people around the world or experiencing this for Volvo to issue a worldwide software update instead of just being a North American one.

Edit: Would like to also add that I've also noticed a sudden volume increase occasionally when the turn signal is being used. Kinda like 'tick tick tick TICK TICK tick tick'. I think it's odd that Volvo engineered their cars to have all audio and indicator sounds come out of the same speakers instead of having them on separate and independent audio circuits. I mean, the B&W's are nice. But no, I don't need to have my turn signal indicators in concert hall mode.
I have the exact same issues with the turn signal and it being much louder for a few ticks. This is separate from the speakers popping and cutting out, which have happened 6 or 7 times now, with only 2 occurring where all sound was lost.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would encourage all customers who experience the "pop" sound in their B&W audio system report it to their Volvo Retailer. An official SW fix is on the way but if a Retailer contacts the help desk they can get SW to fix the issue.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I would encourage all customers who experience the "pop" sound in their B&W audio system report it to their Volvo Retailer. An official SW fix is on the way but if a Retailer contacts the help desk they can get SW to fix the issue.
FWIW my car was in service for 4 days and involved some "remote hookup" with Volvo NJ from the shop foreman. I hope it's a more streamlined process now..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have now had this happen twice on our '21 XC90 Recharge with B&W and air suspension. Listening to volume at about 30%, turn signal on - loud pop - then silence. no radio, parking sensors, but if you turn the radio up to 80% you can hear the subwoofer still working. There is definitely an issue in these vehicles that Volvo needs to fix. I hope they can resolve it with a software update.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Have now had this happen twice on our '21 XC90 Recharge with B&W and air suspension. Listening to volume at about 30%, turn signal on - loud pop - then silence. no radio, parking sensors, but if you turn the radio up to 80% you can hear the subwoofer still working. There is definitely an issue in these vehicles that Volvo needs to fix. I hope they can resolve it with a software update.
Let your dealer know. There is a software update available that's not officially released, but Volvo are giving it to dealers with customers experiencing the issue. I suspect they're trying to do more widespread testing to make sure it actually resolves.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The amps are not properly grounded. This is not a new problem, in the audio world, and any technician with proper training should be able to diagnose it in seconds. But at Volvo, the common solution is to apply a software update and send the customer home with a pat on their back.

Frankly, there is absolutely no way this will be solved via software update. We got rid of the car - but, if you are sticking with it, my advice is to take it to a proper audio shop. Volvo dealers have no clue on how to fix something like this, nor willingness to try, in most cases.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
The amps are not properly grounded. This is not a new problem, in the audio world, and any technician with proper training should be able to diagnose it in seconds. But at Volvo, the common solution is to apply a software update and send the customer home with a pat on their back.

Frankly, there is absolutely no way this will be solved via software update. We got rid of the car - but, if you are sticking with it, my advice is to take it to a proper audio shop. Volvo dealers have no clue on how to fix something like this, nor willingness to try, in most cases.
I was running the software update and it was resolved, so I imagine this is not the same issue.

·
Registered
2016 V60 Cross Country, 2020 V60 Cross Country (Polestar optimized)
66 Posts
Sorry to everyone who’s experiencing what must be an infuriating issue. But it is fascinating saga to read about. Sounds like it could be a case study in an electrical engineering textbook.

@Ultrarunner511 How satisfying was it to captured the evidence on camera?! Love when that works out.
Maybe the B&W doesn’t favor Lord Huron?

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T5 Inscription
2 Posts
My local Volvo service centre just called me saying there was a communication from Volvo factory last Friday regarding this issue and a SW update is available to fix it. I booked in for the update late next week.
Time to contact your local dealer to get another update 😔

81 - 99 of 99 Posts