SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just experienced something odd with my new '21 XC60 Recharge with B&W (picked up last week!). I was just driving with the FM radio and navigation on at a normal volume (~25%) when I heard a loud "pop" sound that sounded like the speakers blew. All sound in the car stopped: indicators no longer beeped, no park assist beep, no fm radio or navigation. The AC unit was still functioning as were all the screens and there was no indicator warning lights or anything. Parked, turned the car off, turned it back on a few seconds later, still no audio. I figured maybe the speakers blew somehow and was late for an appointment so I locked the car and left, came back about a half hour later and everything is functioning like normal.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I have a paint chip on the door frame that looks like a manufacturing/transit defect that I'm going to ask the dealer to take a look anyway so I'll bring it up, just curious.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I just experienced something odd with my new '21 XC60 Recharge with B&W (picked up last week!). I was just driving with the FM radio and navigation on at a normal volume (~25%) when I heard a loud "pop" sound that sounded like the speakers blew. All sound in the car stopped: indicators no longer beeped, no park assist beep, no fm radio or navigation. The AC unit was still functioning as were all the screens and there was no indicator warning lights or anything. Parked, turned the car off, turned it back on a few seconds later, still no audio. I figured maybe the speakers blew somehow and was late for an appointment so I locked the car and left, came back about a half hour later and everything is functioning like normal.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I have a paint chip on the door frame that looks like a manufacturing/transit defect that I'm going to ask the dealer to take a look anyway so I'll bring it up, just curious.
I'd suggest if anything like this ever happens, break out the cell phone, and record. It's your best bet to help people here and especially the dealer troubleshoot the issue.

Sounds like you may have an electrical issue going on....Sounds like it'll be "fun to trace". Make an appointment to the dealer, but if it happens again, record the event. Will assist in resolving the problem quicker.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd suggest if anything like this ever happens, break out the cell phone, and record. It's your best bet to help people here and especially the dealer troubleshoot the issue.

Sounds like you may have an electrical issue going on....Sounds like it'll be "fun to trace". Make an appointment to the dealer, but if it happens again, record the event. Will assist in resolving the problem quicker.
+1.

Good luck OP.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not even sure a recording would have captured anything except silence, to be honest. It only popped once while I was driving and then no audio from anything else. I suspect it may have been computer related rather than electronics but I'll report back if the dealer finds anything, hah.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same thing happen just once on my 2019 after 1 year of ownership. I already had an appointment for the first service and told the service advisor about the incident. They updated all software. I haven't had it happen again.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I'm not even sure a recording would have captured anything except silence, to be honest. It only popped once while I was driving and then no audio from anything else. I suspect it may have been computer related rather than electronics but I'll report back if the dealer finds anything, hah.
Recording silence is a result. Show yourself adjusting the volume on camera and nothing working. You at least have the issue itself documented. Because once you restarted the car, the issue vanished.

It's very similar to a gremlin I had with my backup camera. It wouldn't engage at random times. Camera Unavailable. First trip dealer did software update, second trip I believe was camera seal and wiring harness, third trip was camera, and 4th a software I believe.

I ended up having to drive to dealer (90 miles away) while the problem was in the midst of occurring. As once I started the car, the issue went away. Making it hard to diagnose.

So not only would I suggest recording, but I would directly head to the dealer if they're open, when/if the problem happens again. Even if they cannot work you in that moment, they are able to observe the issue firsthand. Making it even easier to troubleshoot. Should they be closed, recording silence is still evidence of a problem.

·
Registered
460 Posts

I just had the same thing happen on my 2021 XC90 with B&W at 810 miles. Bluetooth music on about 40% slowing to make a turn and a loud "pop!" No sound. No audible turn signal, no touch feedback on sensus, wouldn't read text messages, etc. Stopped at a store, came back and re-started, and all works as normal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huh, yup, exactly the same as me Ultrarunner. Right about the same milage too, actually.

It hasn't happened since and the dealer said bring it back if it happens again, so I'll let you know!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Huh, yup, exactly the same as me Ultrarunner. Right about the same milage too, actually.

It hasn't happened since and the dealer said bring it back if it happens again, so I'll let you know!
I usually have my dash camera's audio recording off...just records video. But I turned it back to recording audio in the event this happens again. Then I'll have decent documentation of it for the dealer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just had a blind spot sensor requires service alert that disappeared after leaving the car off for a bit as well. I got some pictures of that, I'll take it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it in for service finally; explained the three issues:
- Loud speaker pop and loss of sound until cold start (~30 min engine off)
- Second speaker pop but no loss of sound
- Blind Spot Sensor Service Required alert that went away after a cold start
- Passenger side camera stopped working until a cold start

The guy said "huh, definitely a software problem". Took the car all day, ran a ~4 hour software diagnostic that found nothing and did a software update that was available (despite me only picking up 3 weeks ago!). Said to come back if anything else happens.

Will let you know.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Took it in for service finally; explained the three issues:
- Loud speaker pop and loss of sound until cold start (~30 min engine off)
- Second speaker pop but no loss of sound
- Blind Spot Sensor Service Required alert that went away after a cold start
- Passenger side camera stopped working until a cold start

The guy said "huh, definitely a software problem". Took the car all day, ran a ~4 hour software diagnostic that found nothing and did a software update that was available (despite me only picking up 3 weeks ago!). Said to come back if anything else happens.

Will let you know.
That's good to know. Mine hasn't had any issues since thankfully.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I spoke too soon. The same exact "Pop" and no sound happened when driving home from work. ~55% audio level and while I was changing lanes it occurred. I caught it all on dash cam too. When I got home, I video recorded all things that had no sound: turn signals, all sensus functions, reverse/parking assist sounds, etc. The one thing I did notice was that bass was still present in the music. I thought it was road noise the whole way home. A muffled rumble and I couldn't figure it out. The bass still functioned to an extent. But that was it.

I'll be scheduling a visit to the dealer very soon. Within 1420 miles this has occurred twice. Here we go again Volvo .

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, exactly the same issue. I'm only at 600 miles and had all of the issues I listed. I haven't had any since the dealer software update so that's positive!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No such luck. Had another loud pop this morning, but audio continued to work. Taking it back in to the dealer again.

·
Registered
460 Posts
No such luck. Had another loud pop this morning, but audio continued to work. Taking it back in to the dealer again.
Oh wow. Yeah I'm picking mine up in a little bit. The service advisor said they had a fix (software update) and Volvo believes the problem is mainly with the Care key.... The care key was at least 30 miles away from the car in both instances...so I'm not really confident in this "fix."

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I’m curious... what Sound Experience mode(s) are you experiencing this problem? Studio/Stage/Concert Hall? All of the above?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts