SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front passenger door on my 2018 S90 used to buzz like crazy with low bass. I took it to the dealer and they told me they added some foam around the speaker to prevent the buzz. 3 weeks later now it buzzes with even the smallest amount of bass. Does anyone know how to remove the door panel. I do not see any screws and I do not want to start prying on it. I feel this would be one of those on going back and forth to the dealer issue if I take it back to them to sort out.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Door panels are typically held in place by plastic fasteners called Christmas trees, because that what they (vaguely) look like. They are integral with the door panel and press into holes in the metal door frame. It takes only moderate hand pressure to press them home, and it takes only moderate prying with something like a putty knife to release them. They are easily available in a variety of sizes at any good hardware store, if you break or lose any. So I would start trying to pry the door panel off at a convenient corner with a large flat blade of some sort, like a putty knife. It'll take a bit of force, though not too much. How you release things like door handles and controls is another matter. they may also be held in place by Christmas tree fasteners, or there might be hidden screws or bolts. Can't help you there, having never removed an S90 door panel.

I always buy a good factory or aftermarket repair manual for any car I own--Chilton, Bentley, etc.--but I don't think there's anything out there yet for new-generation S90s. They're moderately expensive, usually on the order of at least $100 or so, but they always show you things like the hidden tricks of how to remove interior panels, so one simple repair can save you the cost of the manual.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check this ”It's very easy to remove door panels when you know how it's done! For my V90 it's quite similar to how it's done for XC60: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmCf_mJ2TmI XC90 is slight different but still very easy. The hardest bit is to remove the "decor panel", you need to pull quite hard and in the correct part.”

There are 2 bolt behind the panel, and 2 T25 screws, one at the underside of the door and one behind the window control panel

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm curious to hear how this turns out. I also have slight distortion from at least one of my front speakers. I can't tell if the speaker is blown or if it might need insulation like you've mentioned.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Also curious as I just tried to get my dealer to look at the same thing and of course they couldn't replicate. Thinking I might just apply dynomat (sp?) everywhere myself instead of playing footsie with the service department.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Door panels are typically held in place by plastic fasteners called Christmas trees, because that what they (vaguely) look like. They are integral with the door panel and press into holes in the metal door frame. It takes only moderate hand pressure to press them home, and it takes only moderate prying with something like a putty knife to release them. They are easily available in a variety of sizes at any good hardware store, if you break or lose any. So I would start trying to pry the door panel off at a convenient corner with a large flat blade of some sort, like a putty knife. It'll take a bit of force, though not too much. How you release things like door handles and controls is another matter. they may also be held in place by Christmas tree fasteners, or there might be hidden screws or bolts. Can't help you there, having never removed an S90 door panel.

I always buy a good factory or aftermarket repair manual for any car I own--Chilton, Bentley, etc.--but I don't think there's anything out there yet for new-generation S90s. They're moderately expensive, usually on the order of at least $100 or so, but they always show you things like the hidden tricks of how to remove interior panels, so one simple repair can save you the cost of the manual.

The SPA cars do not use that method of fastening the door panels on. They use a bunch of “hooks” I’ll call them. The door card is held in by three torx screws (one on the bottom center of the door, one under the window switch(s) and the last one is under the rubber “mat” by the grab handle). You remove those three torx bits, then slide the door panel up, vertically. Has to be the easiest door panel I’ve ever removed. The ones on my old Audi’s were a total pain.

Edit: you have to unplug the wiring harnesses as well, that’s like a 1 out of 10 wrench job🤓

1 - 7 of 7 Posts