SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the speaker sizes for the 2006 S40 Premium Audio. I was thinking about replacing the speakers, but if anyone could help out with this info that would be nice. <br> Thanks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: Speaker Size (2006S40T5)

I used 6.5" speakers for replacements while still retaining the factory plastic raised speaker mount. It required I pop out the factory speaker core and cut the leads to the cone but prevented me from having to make adapters. Turned out great and sounds awesome.<br>But then I used BostonAcoustics Pro60 speakers in the front and Polk MMC in the rear doors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you having problems with your upgraded speakers? Do you have the premium sound? Clipping popping at any volums above half?<p>The speaker sizes are 6.5 all around with tweeters in the rear and front pillars. I have been playing around with upgrades and I am having a horrible time trying to get my new components to sound good. That damn Volvo headunit and the fiber optic is really giving me a headache. I have installed the rear components but sound horrible compared to the premium set. I didn;t know whay tey were clipping so I figured low power. Bought a nice amp and installed it using the speaker lines after the fiberoptic to connect to the amp. The front speakers "stock premium" sound even better but my new rear components stil sound horrible! So I connected my ipod directly to the amp bypassing anything volvo and my rear components sound AWESOME! My guess is the OHMS that the stock amp produces any one have any idea?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: (snoops79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>snoops79</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you having problems with your upgraded speakers? Do you have the premium sound? Clipping popping at any volums above half?<p>The speaker sizes are 6.5 all around with tweeters in the rear and front pillars. I have been playing around with upgrades and I am having a horrible time trying to get my new components to sound good. That damn Volvo headunit and the fiber optic is really giving me a headache. I have installed the rear components but sound horrible compared to the premium set. I didn;t know whay tey were clipping so I figured low power. Bought a nice amp and installed it using the speaker lines after the fiberoptic to connect to the amp. The front speakers "stock premium" sound even better but my new rear components stil sound horrible! So I connected my ipod directly to the amp bypassing anything volvo and my rear components sound AWESOME! My guess is the OHMS that the stock amp produces any one have any idea? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Hey, I didn't post all of my mods but I did more than just speakers.<br>I had only the basic Volvo stereo sound with 4 speakers and two tweeters run off the radio/cd player.<p>I planned out my mods so that I would be able to clean up the ****ty sound all in one swoop. I also took pictures of the install so that I could document pulling the doors and where and how I mounted all the components. It looks nice and clean...stealthy.<p>First, you can't just replace the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers and expect it to work because the factory uses speakers that are impedance matched to the factory amp.<p>Okay, the factory speakers have some impedance like 8-12 ohms. If you put in a standard 4 ohm speaker in all the doors then cut the impedance in half or more and the amp is required to produce twice the power to produce adequate volume from the speakers. This makes the amp overload and cut out.<br>You will have to search for low-power, high quality, replacement speakers for OEM applications in order to just do a speaker change. Hard to find those kind in good quality and they will be expensive.<p>The other route is use external amplifiers with the speakers you already bought. BUt the factory radio can't be pulled without major pain in the ass stuff.<p>So I used the JL Audio cleansweep to take the factory signal fromthe speaker wires and produce a clean, digitally reprocessed signal. Then I fed it into two amplifiers, one for the front end and one for a subwoofer.<br>I then ran the amp speaker wires back to where I cut the harness for the factory speakers and wired up the channels.<br>Sounds beautifull, clean and loud.<br>

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: (warmonger)

I forgot to point out that the JL Audio cleansweep has an input for an external device. RCA inputs. Anyway I just got a long RCA cable and then one of the cables that has RCAs on one end and the stereo headphone jack on the other end and wired it to the little compartment behind the instrument stack<br>So if I want to listen to MP3s I just plug that into the headphone jack of my MP3 player and press the button on my JL Cleansweep volume knob to switch inputs and I've got full, clean amplified stereo sound from my external device.<br>So I have everything I need in there now and it all looks stock

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: (warmonger)

Warmonger's upgrades make perfect sense because he only had the basic stereo. There is definitely room for improvement.<p>However, the Premium system is pretty good and even the speakers are already quite high quality with decent crossovers. There are some slight problems but the separate front/rear graphic EQ can be adjusted to correct most of them and at least I'm happy with the sound field now with ProLogic on.<p>I have recently "test driven" a few factory car stereo systems, even some that are advertised premium with so many speakers etc. but none have come even close the the Volvo system.<p>So I really don't see any reason to replace the Premium spekers unless they are broken. I do recommend adding a sub instead. That will make life easier fot the door bass drivers and stock amp. Maybe, just maybe, you could reach improvement by replacing the stock tweeters only but then you have to be able to match them with factory amp impedance and factory crossover networks. In any case you would need to invest some serious $$$ to get clear improvement.<p>snoops79: In your case, the impedance matching could very well be the problem. I assume your aftermarket speakers are 4ohm (there were no impedance specs on their web site!) and if the amp has been designed for 8ohm, it is more than likely that they will cause the amp to clip. This maybe due to a built in overload protection. Also check that your bass drivers sit tight in the doors and there are no holes etc. that could cause an acoustic short between front and rear of the driver. This would result in uncontrolled movement of the cone and mechanical clipping when the voice coil hits the magnet base. The latter (acoustic short) also filters out a lot of the bass.<p>Check your EQ settings too. If the low bass is too much elevated, it causes the bass driver to easily hit its movement limits when played loud. I guess your iPod cannot boost bass that much and that would explain better results with it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the posts. Hey warmonger, I am interested in your install, as I am going to get a 4 channel amp and new component speakers. Please let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts