SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next up on my list is to do something about the horrible audio system in this car.

Currently, it has a Volvo AM/FM Cassette head unit. Not even a CD player. I don't know the number, there is an ugly fake wood piece applied to the radio face. The speakers appear to be the stock "components" from the factory - large speaker in the bottom of all four doors, tweeters in the upper front doors and tweeters in the D-pillars. I don't think there's an amplifier in this car, but I haven't removed the passenger seat yet to confirm. Also, no factory subwoofer since this car has 3rd row seating.

The display on the radio is going away and the passenger side speakers are blown. For the short term, I plan to install an Alpine CDA-9884 left over from a previous car using a head unit wiring harness adapters and the Volvo double DIN radio panel with pocket insert. Since I need to replace the speakers, I have a pair of Focal 6.5" speakers coming for the back doors. I'm still trying to decide what I want to use in the front doors.

My question is, how are the factory speakers wired? I need to get a full range signal in the doors to connect to the speakers in the back and the crossovers in the front. Specifically, how do the factory tweeters in the doors and D-pillars get their signal, and is it split in any way?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The factory speakers in the doors and rear are wired in parallel and are 8 ohm each, presenting a 4 ohm load to the head unit on each of the 4 channels. They're passively crossed over with caps on the tweeter only. In my car, I disconnected the rear pillar speakers and replaced the rear door speakers with 4 ohm coaxials, and in the front I replaced them with a component set and foam taped the crossover to the back of the door panel. If you're creative with zip ties and careful about how hard you shove them in, you can mount aftermarket tweeters right in the same location as the factory ones and it's perfectly stealth with great sound.

See the thread linked in my signature (blue text) for photos of my install if you like. Head unit on page 2 and speakers on page 3. The factory speaker mounts take a 6.5" speaker very nicely, it's just some work to get the factory speakers out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have your thread bookmarked and have used it for reference before, including the part numbers for the radio panel and pocket. FYI, the price for the Volvo double DIN panel is now over $80. However, the Metra panel I used on my last V70 looked and fit so bad that I just decided to suck it up and go with the factory part.

My speaker plan will be similar to yours. I would like to add some type of subwoofer, but the 3rd row seat in my car presents a challenge. In any case, I'll worry about that at a later date.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If you can fiberglass, there's room on the side to do a sub if you find one with extremely small volume requirement. I bought a Pioneer 10" that only requires a .35 ft³ box but haven't ever taken the time to put it in. Too many projects and I'm lazy to begin with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts