SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OEM vs. Aftermarket Spark Plugs

So.. do you guys recommend anything other than the OEM plugs? I've always ran NGK plugs in my other vehicles. Always had good results with them. I want to do a tuneup in the next month or so, and wanted to start putting the pieces together. I'm not noticing any misfires, so I don't think I need to replace any coils. So the FCP kit is probably overkill. I think plugs, an air filter, fuel filter, & an oil/ filter change will do it for now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
replaced my stock plugs with new stock plugs at 55k, can't complain

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stay with OEM plugs
Not to be an ass, but is there a reason behind that or just personal opinion? I just thought it was interesting that FCP, IDP, etc. don't really offer alternatives to OEM. Have there been issues using aftermarket plugs?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
yup there are issues with other plugs being too hot for our car. like he said old threads cover this extensively.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O.K... cool. I'll try the search engine again. Didn't come up with too much info the first time. I guess I'll order a set of OEM's from IPD.

Thanks!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just changed my Denso Iridium Power Spark Plugs with 38k to NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs a week ago.
Regapped to 0.026 and pretty awsome so far.
Bought 6 of them for $46 shipped to my door
FYI, the spark plug application is the same as STi.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've been running the NGK Iridium IX plugs for most of this year. No issues.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those were the plugs I was thinking about using. They're $7.50 ea @ the local auto store, which isn't too bad since I only need 5 & not 8.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Copper will work almost the double od timw than iridium. I hqve been using both and honestly prefer volvo oem

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I ran (I forget the brand right now) double platinum spark plugs in my Stage III 2.5T S60 when I tuned it up, they ran smoother than stock plugs, which are different length than the R's but I think they're the same brand/quality. Checked them after 15,000 miles and they looked practically brand new, held the gap perfectly too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ran (I forget the brand right now) double platinum spark plugs in my Stage III 2.5T S60 when I tuned it up, they ran smoother than stock plugs, which are different length than the R's but I think they're the same brand/quality. Checked them after 15,000 miles and they looked practically brand new, held the gap perfectly too.
According to IPD ( http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4877/113555-volvo-spark-plug-set-turbo first paragraph )... Volvo uses Bosch, NGK, & Denso to make their plugs. Seems like buying the non-volvo branded plugs of the same manufacturer wouldn't make much of a difference.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
According to IPD ( http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4877/113555-volvo-spark-plug-set-turbo first paragraph )... Volvo uses Bosch, NGK, & Denso to make their plugs. Seems like buying the non-volvo branded plugs of the same manufacturer wouldn't make much of a difference.
that is correct...and that is why you should find comparable plugs to your specific OEM application by those brands or just get the OEM ones and not spend 100 of $ replacing spark plugs and then making statement " the car raaan so much smoother "... " with these 100$ plugs I've gain 20hp...at least " and so on and on till the break of dawn...;)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
no issues here either with using non oem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts