SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm a new member here and this is my first post on the forum. I own a 2010 XC60 T6 that my family and I ordered new while stationed in Germany. We just returned from a 2000 mile trip to Key West and the car has roughly 57500 miles on the odo. I'm getting ready to replace the original tires and change the oil, but also noticed that, according to my service interval and warranty booklet, that my spark plugs need to be changed at 60k. Normally, I'd do a job like this myself (recently performed on a 2013 Challenger SRT and my Ford Explorer), but the engine compartment looks to cramped for me, so I've asked the dealership in Montgomery, AL to do it for me, along with the rest of the inspection.

The Volvo rep says the spark plugs will run about $100-$120, plus labor for the install. My jaw nearly hit the floor when he told me how expensive the plugs, themselves, are, but he claimed that they are "longer lasting than regular plugs".... With that said, I have three questions:

1. Is it normal to expect Volvo plugs to cost this much.
2. Can anyone suggest any quality, more-reasonably priced plugs that would serve as well as or better than OEM plugs?
3. Does anyone know of a good "how to" explanation for changing the plugs on my car if I wanted to do it myself?

Many thanks to those who provide feedback.

WAS

·
Registered
642 Posts
$120 is not a bad price for plugs these days (~$20/each).
$120 installed is not a bad price. That's about what an Astro costs, and they are a major pita to change. $120 for just the plugs is highway robbery. Plenty of replacements under $10 out there.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Agreed, OEM are best. Not sure about ebay these days, but places like IPD, and FCPeuro are great and you can get stuff at nearly half what the dealer quotes. Just pick 'em up and have your indie install if your dealer rates are $$$$ (like mine), or do it yourself. Here's FCP for $66, free shipping; https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-spark-plug-s80-xc70-xc60-30751805

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot folks. I appreciate the feedback. I must admit my own ignorance when it comes to this car. Having the extended warranty for the last 50k miles really spoiled me, but now I'm quickly trying to learn the best places and practices to maintain my XC60. This car is my wife's daily driver, and we use it for long road trips. To date, it has been problem free with the notable exception of a wiring harness problem on the driver's side rear view mirror that necessitated three trips to the dealer before they could diagnose and resolve the issue, that occurred right at 50k. Otherwise, we have enjoyed owning this car and I just want to do as much preventive maintenance as I can, while also doing so affordably.

@SlipperyB: thanks for the link. I had no idea that fcpeuro even existed. I followed the link for the plugs, and while on the site, also discovered that they offer a "tune up kit", that also features cabin and engine air filters, oil filter, along with the plugs.

Again, thanks to all of you for the advise.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Back in the days you'd change plugs every 10000 km <=> 6250 mi. I think I paid at least 200 SEK <=>$25 for a spark plug set for my old 244 => 0,4 cents/mile in spark plug costs (lol). 60k mi on $120 of spark plugs => 0,2 cents/mile. If it makes you any happier your spark plug expenses are lessened with some added convenience of just now doing your first spark plug swap. You'd be nearing your tenth if this was... well long ago, but still.

Anyhow I was going to recommend VolvoSwedens video but the user above me beat me to it. Frankly almost looks easier than on my old 244 since the plugs were at a weird angle on my B21 engine (and that I'm too incompetent to hold a spanner but that's another story).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I found the video, along with several others. I have the parts and tools needed for the job, but can't locate the specs in my owners manual or service manual that indicate the proper gap for my spark plugs. Does anyone here know that gap range for plugs on a 2010 XC60 T6?

Also, what is the general consensus on replacing the ignition packs along with the plugs? Should the packs be replaced along with plugs, or do they have a longer service life?

WAS

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old thread but I am looking to do plugs in my 2013 XC60 T6 Polestar upgrade. I wanted to do the NGK Iridium but NGK site doesn't list a plug for my car. I see people are saying the OEM is the best. Who makes the plugs for Volvo and what type would they be (iridium or platinum, etc)? I have heard they are a Bosch plug but I have never had good luck with anything Bosch. Do the plug kits Volvo see come with anything else beside just plugs? $120 for 6 plugs seems a bit high, especially if they aren't 'top quality' that is out there.

Little worried since the #6 plug (far right when looking from the front) is oil covered and it is pretty fifty inside that cylinder. The other plugs are all dry and don't have any build up around the electrode and also don't have the oil blow by. My ex-wifes 2011 XC70 had to have a new motor at 60,000 from bad rings, which Volvo apparently knew about when they changed designs of the rings. Hers burned 1.5-2 quarts of oil between 7500 mile oil changes (use only Amsoil). Volvo fixed it and about 20,000 miles ago I showed this plug to the dealer, he showed a tech who said to leave it alone and bring it in for the 80,000 mile plug change, that way Volvo could see the oil and build up. Apparently, after the poor ring design issue, Volvo put a warranty on their engine of 100,000 miles. Service tech told me my car was covered for the 100,000 miles and Volvo really hasn't said anything about it because of costs. So now I am thinking I should have them do the plugs, even though I can do it for 1/2 the cost, and then make a bit of a stink about the plug and the oil. BTW, the oil seems a little dark for 2,500 miles on Amsoil.

[/url]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts