SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any recommendations for a spark plug that is better than stock?

would upgrading plugs provide any "noticeable" diffrence in power?

what is the life of the stock plugs???

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Re: Spark Plug recommendations (23109VC)

Be aware that the R plug is unique. It has a 4mm longer reach than the other models. We are introducing Denso Irridiums for the R, but they are still about a week away from being available (roughly Feb 1st).

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Re: Spark Plug recommendations (Scott Hart)

Quote, originally posted by Scott Hart »
Be aware that the R plug is unique. It has a 4mm longer reach than the other models. We are introducing Denso Irridiums for the R, but they are still about a week away from being available (roughly Feb 1st).
Scott count me in for those when they come out. Can you shot me an email once they are available at [email protected] . Thanks alot man.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Spark Plug recommendations (RhaRdeR)

Quote, originally posted by RhaRdeR »
Scott whats that figure to be, about 5hp per plug X 5 plugs= 25hp

Only when you port the thread...

·
Registered
47 Posts
i think you would want a cooler plug but you probably not see any difference unless your making so much boost its blowing the spark out.

on the yotas when up the boost we gap the plugs down to 25-27. factory is 32 or 35.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (KERR)

just wondering - what is the normal life of the stock spark plugs?

is there any benefit to changing them out sooner?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
power gain 0
they should last about 30k.
R owners arent going to be running racegas, super high HP levels, or anything really crazy. i dont see why the stock plug should be changed until you are going for 400 HP+

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (garbergtsi)

my car has just about 30k....so it's probably time to change them out.

I believe mine are still the OEM ones that came with the car.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Anyone ever use the NGK spark plugs? http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/p...m.asp . If you search the website they have a plug for the R. I am thinking about buying the NGK TR55's. Anyone use these? Or would you all recommend the Denso's?

Also, for boosted cars, more gap is better or vice versa?

Modified by Rangeball at 9:39 PM 4-5-2007

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
my car has just about 30k....so it's probably time to change them out.

That's what I thought as well. Volvo recommends changing them at 60k versus the 855R which was 30k. I asked the master tech that works on mine to pull a couple today, and they look fine at 43k. Gas mileage is still steady and performance is good. I really wanted to go ahead with the tune-up, but the tech proved I was OK for now. I'm running stock and plan to stay with the OEM plug. I always use 93 octane and all miles are highway which probably makes a difference in the plug life.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: (ZenZone)

I'd like to hear the pro & con "theory" of the change in gap size too; stock verse modded cars. For some of us (growing every day) with modded ECU's, is it reasonably sound to gap the plugs smaller as someone above asserted?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: (Short Circuit)

hi... there is an upside and a downside risk to the gap as far as i know. if the gap is too small, there's a chance that the spark will not be long enough to ignite the air/fuel mixture. however if the gap is too wide, i think there is a chance that the spark plug might once in a while fail to create the spark to start with. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Re: (Rangeball)

Quote, originally posted by Rangeball »
Anyone ever use the NGK spark plugs? http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/p...m.asp . If you search the website they have a plug for the R. I am thinking about buying the NGK TR55's. Anyone use these? Or would you all recommend the Denso's?

Also, for boosted cars, more gap is better or vice versa?

Modified by Rangeball at 9:39 PM 4-5-2007
I would steer clear of Denso's.. I have seen multiple Denso plugs in volvos crack, shatter, etc. Also, I had a VR6 GTI at the house last week w/ a bad missfire and pulled the plug out of cyl #1. Low and behold it was a denso iridium w/ a missing electrode... Denso sucks. I know the older B5234s love copper plugs of the OEM variety.. As for gap, gap down, not up. Higher gap tends to cause spark blowout in these cars.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: (gdogg16)

Do you think the NGK TR55's would be ok though? I know a lot of guys that use them but not in Volvo's. I guess I really just need an education in spark plugs.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My Volvo tech buddy said all the Turbo motor's (in the V & S's) run the same plug. he claimed they have tried them all. . .. .& suggested I stay w/ the factory plug's for both my R & the wife's T5. . . .just some FYI.

..........Dave

1 - 20 of 67 Posts