SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my plugs and I did a whole picture thing about the experience, needless to say a lot of cleaning was in order. But now I am faced with misfires. The car ran just find for 5-10 miles after but then trouble started. Gap on the new plugs are at 0.031 and I believe they come pre-gaped, checked and cleaned contact points on the plugs lead to the coil packs along with them as well. Any thoughts?

Link to my whole ordeal:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?197985-Power-and-RPM-drop-in-3rg-gear(AT-GT)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Check the wires that go tothe plugs that connect to your coils. You may have pinched a wire.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
when you put back the coils, are you sure you put them in the right cylinder?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when you put back the coils, are you sure you put them in the right cylinder?
100% when removing parts I prep clean and marked surfaces in order to avoid any and all misplacement.

Strike I am heading out to the garage to inspect that. You guys happen to know the proper gap size for oem plugs? Previous plugs and the new ones all sit around 0.032

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got in contact with Mike from FCP(love that place) and he suggests 0.028. And I ran the length of all the wires and haven't found any kinks, a good suggestion however. On the topic of coil packs if anyone of you happened to look at the photos I posted showing the condition of them, could they be further cleaned than just the outside and rubber boot?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Just got in contact with Mike from FCP(love that place) and he suggests 0.028. And I ran the length of all the wires and haven't found any kinks, a good suggestion however. On the topic of coil packs if anyone of you happened to look at the photos I posted showing the condition of them, could they be further cleaned than just the outside and rubber boot?
Don't worry about cleaning the coils too much except if using electric contact cleaner. Thesecoils develop cracks over time and moisture can cause no start conditions or misfires. Ifthey get wet you can bake them (minus rubber boot) at 200 degrees for like 15 minutes and once they cool off, should be fine.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I'd fix your gap first. .027-.028 is oem as noted above.

Edit- after reading your link to your endeavor, I'm left wondering if your intense simple green soaking and cleaning somehow fouled something up...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd fix your gap first. .027-.028 is oem as noted above.

Edit- after reading your link to your endeavor, I'm left wondering if your intense simple green soaking and cleaning somehow fouled something up...
We were very cautious to cover and seal everything, we didn't even spray it more like we would sud sputter it out of the bottle, we used flat heads to break stuff up and vacuumed it out. What are your thoughts on what it could have caused?

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
We were very cautious to cover and seal everything, we didn't even spray it more like we would sud sputter it out of the bottle, we used flat heads to break stuff up and vacuumed it out. What are your thoughts on what it could have caused?
Not sure, but I remember my wife (before we met) sprayed down the engine of her T5-R and was stranded after water got down into the plugs. Needless to say, she didn't do it again. Now, the 850 used plug wires and a rotor cap, but I just wonder if somehow you got something wet that wanted to stay dry. Perhaps let it sit to dry for a while and try again?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Had to run down to harbor freight to get a new gap coin and feeler tool. Post gap numbers in a few mins....

Update:
(Cylinder)1 -0.027 / .7mm
2 - 0.029 / .725mm
3 - 0.030 / .75mm - misfires*
4 - 0.028 / .725mm
5 - 0.030 / .75mm - misfires*

This seems to tell the story. How what's the best way to shorten the gap without putting too much unnecessary pressure on anything sensitive? I think it's best to get them all to same gap as plug 1.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You had so much oil in that area I would not be surprise if oil found its way to the plug contacts when you remove them. That may prevent good current condition.
That also applies to the connectors themselves, not just to the plugs...

·
Registered
548 Posts
You had so much oil in that area I would not be surprise if oil found its way to the plug contacts when you remove them. That may prevent good current condition.
That also applies to the connectors themselves, not just to the plugs...
That... I don't want to sound like an arse, but BG has a bigger problem. Check the spark plug stickies, you'll see how clean the other guy's plugs were from the top view. Like a Stage -1 Rebuild...

My gut guess is an important O-ring or seal has broken, somewhere in that block, and the pics looked more like sludge from no frequent oil changes or possibly a PCV malfunction. Hate to say it though..

Why the hell would so much oil be where it shouldn't be? Something is screaming RED FLAG here.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My gut guess is an important O-ring or seal has broken, somewhere in that block, and the pics looked more like sludge from no frequent oil changes or possibly a PCV malfunction. Hate to say it though..

Why the hell would so much oil be where it shouldn't be? Something is screaming RED FLAG here.
He had an oil cap leaking. That's why there was so much oil . . . as I understand it :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No dice, re-gap of the plugs did nothing. Did notice flashing CEL after I reset it using a scan tool. Kinda at a loss here.
Are you using vida/dice? If not you need to.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Maybe I'm paranoid because of this sludge stuff.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok...my oil has been changed every 3500 miles with Castrol Synth. Oil was leaking because of the faulty cap seal. I fixed that then decided to change plugs and some other jazz after I felt a slight power tickle in the 3k rev range during WOT. Now, I have to start thinking coils and wires. I believe my PCV system is still fine did a vac test and I also have zero audio symptoms of it going bad. I absolutely need to get VIDA/DICE, recommend me to a good site to buy it and I will get it ordered asap. Until then I might have to swap the coil packs around and see if I can fin a pattern. Funny thing is most of the oil spill was by cyl 1 and 2 where 3 and 5 are the ones misbehaving.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Nothing, car does the same thing, not CEL yet which is surprising. To cancel out coil packs can I just unplug one at a time and run the car at idle and look for the smoothness to come back? Something tells me I am just going to be overnight 5 new coil packs from ipd. I dont want my DP race cat ruined...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts