SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spark Plug change at 59000 kms

I changed the spark plugs on two cars this week.

A 2013 Toyota RAV 4 2.5 ltr 4 Cylinder and the 2016 XC90 2 ltr.

Referenced the Volvo maintenance from here:
https://youtu.be/RJBID9_u2O8 and found it to be a simple 15-20 min job.

The new plugs have a smaller insulator than the original ones (as per spec change after the multiple fails in the US)

The RAV 4 has solid ignition coils which gave a more positive connection feel over the soft Volvo ones. It was harder to tell if the Volvo ones had actually connected.
The RAV also had a 2 part rubber seal at the head/ignition coil seat that prevented dust/dirt going down to the spark plug seat.
The Volvo has a seal at the base of the ignition coil but this still allowed dirt to sit at the spark plug seat. An easy blow out with compressed air was required.

Both cars had oil on one plug, the RAV was worse. Here are some pics of the Volvo plugs:

Pen

Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part Suspension part

Spark plug Automotive ignition part Auto part Automotive engine part

#3 spark plug (3rd from left - rotate pic anticlockwise 90º) is the oily one. The initial 'break' from the seal was EASIER, yet it felt different unscrewing the remainder (stiff...) and re-seating the new one also felt funny...like I could have kept tightening if I wanted to!

I'll check in with the service dept next week to let them know.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
They all look good and no porcelain missing. If engine was burning oil plugs would be white and ashy. Many times oil gets down into plug wells when oil is added as it backs up quickly because of the grate inside the fill port, so the oil goes into wells.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Oceans60R
I’m not thinking this is the case in this circumstance for the following reasons:

- there was no oil on the Ignition Coil. Or any of the other coils
- there was no oil in the well
- it was only one plug (#3 from the left as you’re facing the engine)
- there is no evidence of oil any where else...and there are many crevices for oil to collect

It’s not burning oil (maybe a touch at startup) so it can’t be anything serious I don’t think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I don't believe its anything to be concerned with either. I've removed first gen plugs plugs that all plugs have had the porcelain missing, hence the recall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts