Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Only the t6 has a spare though right?
See excerpt from T8 owner's manual:

Tire sealing system
The vehicle is equipped with a tire sealing system that enables you to temporarily seal a hole in the tread surface and re-inflate a flat tire, or to adjust a tire’s inflation pressure.

Location in the cargo compartment (generic illustration)
Introduction
The tire sealing system consists of an air compressor, a container for the sealing compound, wiring to connect the system to the vehicle’s electrical system via one of the 12-volt sockets, and a hose used to connect the system to the tire’s inflation valve.
NOTE
The tire sealing system's compressor has been tested and approved by Volvo.
The 12-volt sockets are located in the front tunnel console, on the rear side of the center console in the rear seat and in the cargo area.
Accessing the tire sealing system
The tire sealing system is stowed under the floor of the cargo area. To access it:
Lift the floor hatch in the cargo area.
Lift out the tire sealing system.
NOTE
The tire sealing system is only intended to seal holes on the tire’s tread area, not the sidewall.
Tires with large holes or tears cannot be repaired with the tire sealing system.
After use, stow the tire sealing system properly to help prevent rattling.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Banned
763 Posts

Tire sealing system
The vehicle is equipped with a tire sealing system that enables you to temporarily seal a hole in the tread surface and re-inflate a flat tire, or to adjust a tire’s inflation pressure.

Location in the cargo compartment (generic illustration)
Introduction
The tire sealing system consists of an air compressor, a container for the sealing compound, wiring to connect the system to the vehicle’s electrical system via one of the 12-volt sockets, and a hose used to connect the system to the tire’s inflation valve.
NOTE
The tire sealing system's compressor has been tested and approved by Volvo.
The 12-volt sockets are located in the front tunnel console, on the rear side of the center console in the rear seat and in the cargo area.
Accessing the tire sealing system
The tire sealing system is stowed under the floor of the cargo area. To access it:
Lift the floor hatch in the cargo area.
Lift out the tire sealing system.
NOTE
The tire sealing system is only intended to seal holes on the tire’s tread area, not the sidewall.
Tires with large holes or tears cannot be repaired with the tire sealing system.

After use, stow the tire sealing system properly to help prevent rattling.
...and this is why I always either buy vehicles with spares or buy my own aftermarket spares. No time for that kind of nonsense.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The standard spare won't fit in the t8 the same way it does in the t6. It is however very light and small so if I was getting a t8 I would likely buy one to throw in the back for longer drives.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Page 457 of the English International edition of the T8's handbook shows how to carry the spare wheel in a special case tied down on top of the folded third row of seats.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Page 457 of the English International edition of the T8's handbook shows how to carry the spare wheel in a special case tied down on top of the folded third row of seats.

Can anyone provide the part numbers for the T6 mini-spare and case? I'm getting a T8 and would like one for long trips. Cost?

·
Registered
390 Posts
...and this is why I always either buy vehicles with spares or buy my own aftermarket spares. No time for that kind of nonsense.
+1. No spare is a deal killer for me. Replaced the wife's old Audi TT for that reason. Most flat tires that I see on the roadside in Arizona are shredded and no stop leak is going to fix them.

·
Registered
496 Posts
^^^ I do understand but can;t you fit so called run-flat tyres instead of carrying a full spare?

Can anyone provide the part numbers for the T6 mini-spare and case? I'm getting a T8 and would like one for long trips. Cost?
Be aware: Rims and tyres on a T8 do have some limitations regarding minimal size and load. Please check first if the mini-spare is allowed for the T8.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll never own run flats again: far too expensive, short life, and worst of all nearly impossible to get repaired or replaced.

Can anyone confirm if the T6 mini spare will work with the T8?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This being a deal killer for somebody is a mystery to me. I have driven close to a million miles in the last 20 years and have never had a flat. I even don´t know anybody who has had one. But maybe your roads are a lot worse than ours?

·
Registered
478 Posts
But maybe your roads are a lot worse than ours?
I've been driving a '92 Volvo 740 since 1991, and I've had two serious flats. One time is was a large pothole in the rain. It looked like a puddle, and it was, just a deep one with sharp edges. The second time it was a sidewall blowout, while on the freeway. Neither one of these could be fixed by a tire sealing system. In fact both of these took the wheel out. That said, the lack of a spare didn't stop me from ordering an XC90 T8.

·
Registered
777 Posts
This being a deal killer for somebody is a mystery to me. I have driven close to a million miles in the last 20 years and have never had a flat. I even don´t know anybody who has had one. But maybe your roads are a lot worse than ours?
Roads in the USA and other countries are MUCH WORSE than in Sweden. Driving in Sweden is not the real world. The roads are well maintained and potholes are non-existent and if there is an issue it is fixed quickly. The roads tend to be billiard table smooth. Spare tires in the Swedish market are a "special order" item. I always have them on my cars and my colleagues here just shake their heads. Better safe than sorry as I have had flat tires during my time in the US and in China. For me, I do not like cans of goo and I do not like to wait for roadside assistance to show up when I am perfectly capable of changing a tire.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll never own run flats again: far too expensive, short life, and worst of all nearly impossible to get repaired or replaced.

Can anyone confirm if the T6 mini spare will work with the T8?
Cannot agree with you mate.

I have Bridgestone run flats on my BMW and have got 25000 to 30,000 miles, yes miles off them. Admittedly punctures are virtually impossible to repair.The advantage of being less likely to to be stuck on the roadside awaiting the AA makes me a huge fan of run flats.

·
Registered
427 Posts

I can confirm that if something happens on the sidewall (I've got tire cut in a car theft attempt) there is no way to seal or to repair it. Replacement is the only option, that is why I've always the "spare tire" option in my cars, even if it is the crippled "80km/h max" little plastic toy wheel.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
This is why I carry 4 spares! Sure I have to strap the kids to the roof but it beats the inconvenience of gooing and airing up on the road.
On a serious note, I've had quite a few flats in the past 10 years and I prefer the can to changing the tire. That being said, on 2 of the 10 or so flats, the can would not have worked because the gash was in the sidewall. Both sidewall flats were on low profile tires so I tend to stay away from them. It would be easy for me to say that I'd do without the spare but the truth is, I have a spare. I can say that not having one is not a deal breaker for me. Just my 2¢, good luck on whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts