SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I was just wondering if the C70 comes with a spare tire, or if it has a wheel well for a spare tire. I currently have a c30 and was looking at the s60 but will not buy because of the no spare and I do not want a tire sitting in the trunk. I've always liked the C70 so I'm looking at this option, a little more expensive but still do able.

Pat

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our 2012 did not come with a spare. Has the "fix-it" kit instead. Have been adjusting my thinking and am getting comfortable with not having a spare. Our C30 has a spare and I'm now starting to think I'd rather have the extra room I'd gain by getting a "fix-it" kit to replace the spare tire.

·
Registered
649 Posts
When I bought my 2011 early last year, the spare tire (donut) was a no-cost dealer installed option. But, just about every C70 I saw had the spare and not the inflator kit. Maybe it is a New England thing -- with our roads, I believe a spare tire is a must. Plus, inflator kits only work on some punctures, and won't work on sidewall tears (e.g. you hit a curb).

With 20/20 hindsight, I'm pretty sure I could have had the dealer install an inflator kit and delete the spare. Later, I would have bought a spare (maybe even at a junkyard). Then, I would have been able to leave the spare home if I needed more trunk space for long trip. But, I have no regrets and am glad I have a spare.

FYI, the factory spare comes in a nice canvas bag with handy tie downs to prevent it from shifting around in the wheel well.

·
Registered
808 Posts
When I bought my 2011 early last year, the spare tire (donut) was a no-cost dealer installed option. But, just about every C70 I saw had the spare and not the inflator kit. Maybe it is a New England thing -- with our roads, I believe a spare tire is a must. Plus, inflator kits only work on some punctures, and won't work on sidewall tears (e.g. you hit a curb).

With 20/20 hindsight, I'm pretty sure I could have had the dealer install an inflator kit and delete the spare. Later, I would have bought a spare (maybe even at a junkyard). Then, I would have been able to leave the spare home if I needed more trunk space for long trip. But, I have no regrets and am glad I have a spare.

FYI, the factory spare comes in a nice canvas bag with handy tie downs to prevent it from shifting around in the wheel well.
It is a no cost factory installed option, not dealer. if getting one at the dealer there is typically a charge. Yes, there is a well for it in the C70, but does take up a good amount of the limited space when the top is down. I personally prefer a spare, as I'd rather be on my way in 10 minutes rather than needing a tow.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well, we made it a shade over three and a half years with no spare in the '08 and 16 months WITH a spare in the '11. Fortunately, never needed the spare but did use the '08 Fix-It pump to help a stranded motorist. It was REALLY helpful to remove the spare from our '91 Miata, but I worried frequently about not having it in the trunk. Only took out the donut when I really needed the space.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't want to jinx myself but it's been 4-1/2 yrs on my '08 with no spare. Not a good feeling though. I had no clue I had a fix-it kit in mine as I ordered 3000 miles away from home, purchased sight unseen. Now that was risky! Same for my VW Touareg....no spare, just a fix-it kit which I never needed in 5 yrs. I'm just used to having no spare and think positively when I venture out! I had a new tire put on at 400 miles because of a huge nail. I refused to plug it up since these summer tires are just too fragile to take any chances with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, I hadn't had a flat since I could remember, but a month ago driving on the freeway ran over something and it slit the sidewall on the C30, so that patch it kit wouldn't of helped. That is why I was wondering about the spare. Good to know that it does have an option for the spare.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i dont carry a spare, but dont carry the key to the wheel locks either, so a spare wouldnt help anyhow!

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i dont carry a spare, but dont carry the key to the wheel locks either, so a spare wouldnt help anyhow!

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....
Even the wheel lock key wouldn't help my neighbor with his Pathfinder. Wheel lock crumbled into pieces when he tried to remove it...nothing left to grab. Good thing he was in front of our house! They ended up towing the vehicle to the shop where they had to drill out the stud and replace it! It is NO fun working on a balky wheel when it's 103 degrees outside!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anybody have any info on what a spare tire costs for a C70? Mine did not come with one (or the air compressor/goo combo kit either) so I'm thinking it might be a good thing to add.

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'll take my chances without it. With TPMS (if you don't ignore it!) the chance of riding on low tire pressure, one of if not the biggest cause of blowouts, is greatly reduced. Never had a flat in my Miata (with TPMS) either or even had an opportunity to use the inflator kit.

If you don't need the trunk for much, I could see carrying the spare. However, one of my main decisions to go with the C70 was that it had by far the most trunk space with the top down. In fact, with the top down, it has as much as space as the Miata (which did not lose any trunk space when the top was down). So anyway, I'm not gonna give that up to carry a spare. I'll deal with the inconvenience if it's something the inflator kit can't fix as I need the trunk space almost all the time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
when my 2012 was purchased,the dealer insisted that he give me the "spare". It's in a carry case and really keeps things neat in the trunk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts