SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 S60 R-Design and am looking to get the spare tire (had a bad experience with my C70 where I needed to wait for a tow truck at night in rainy cold weather after hitting a pothole in winter because I did not have a spare tire - rim was bent too and was replaced).

I am looking to get the spare tire kit for my S60 R-Design:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...6 AWD/Automatic/L.H.D/ShowDocument/VCC-449671

1. Is it indeed part. no. 31373123? for the R-Design too? I don't see any other option but wanted confirmation.

2. The size of R-Design standard rims and tires is 235/40 R18
The spare tire is 125/80 R17
Using an online tire diameter calcuator tool (http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm) I get:

Stock S60 R-Design 235/40 R18. Tire diameter = 25.4 "
The S60 (all trims?) spare tire is 125/80 R17. Tire diameter = 24.9 "

How is this 1/2 " difference on one side and one axle going to affect the car, such as AWD system etc.? (assuming I may be 50 miles from a tire place, especially if it is at night)?

3. Any current deals? I know Volvo dealers have discount coupons on accessories but wondering whether that will be cheaper than ordering online from a parts supplier / e-tailer...
I'll do some more research tonight but figured someone in the community here may have some valuable tips if they went through this already. :)

Thanks in advance, as always!

PS: It is unfortunate that it uses trunk space, vs. a dedicated spare tire well under / at the bottom of the trunk, but I don't wnat to be stranded who knows where in the middle of the night...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
1. Yes, same part number for everyone.
2. You will be fine for a short distance.
3. Ebay. They pop up there used all the time for 50-60% off retail.

·
Registered
897 Posts
1. Yes, same part number for everyone.
2. You will be fine for a short distance.
3. Ebay. They pop up there used all the time for 50-60% off retail.
And if you search on here I think baggerben still has one more.

·
Registered
687 Posts
oh wow was wondering this too

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree. During the first 37k and the first tire set I had no problems.
Since replacing them with identical tires in the last 4k or so, I've had two flats. One screw and 1 1/4" bolt. The screw was patched while the bolt destroyed the tire. I should have my spare from Ben this evening and I'm going to keep a full size spare tire too for the long trip to nowhere.

I have a 2012 S60 R-Design and am looking to get the spare tire (had a bad experience with my C70 where I needed to wait for a tow truck at night in rainy cold weather after hitting a pothole in winter because I did not have a spare tire - rim was bent too and was replaced).

I am looking to get the spare tire kit for my S60 R-Design:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...6 AWD/Automatic/L.H.D/ShowDocument/VCC-449671

1. Is it indeed part. no. 31373123? for the R-Design too? I don't see any other option but wanted confirmation.

2. The size of R-Design standard rims and tires is 235/40 R18
The spare tire is 125/80 R17
Using an online tire diameter calcuator tool (http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm) I get:

Stock S60 R-Design 235/40 R18. Tire diameter = 25.4 "
The S60 (all trims?) spare tire is 125/80 R17. Tire diameter = 24.9 "

How is this 1/2 " difference on one side and one axle going to affect the car, such as AWD system etc.? (assuming I may be 50 miles from a tire place, especially if it is at night)?

3. Any current deals? I know Volvo dealers have discount coupons on accessories but wondering whether that will be cheaper than ordering online from a parts supplier / e-tailer...
I'll do some more research tonight but figured someone in the community here may have some valuable tips if they went through this already. :)

Thanks in advance, as always!

PS: It is unfortunate that it uses trunk space, vs. a dedicated spare tire well under / at the bottom of the trunk, but I don't wnat to be stranded who knows where in the middle of the night...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I agree. During the first 37k and the first tire set I had no problems.
Since replacing them with identical tires in the last 4k or so, I've had two flats. One screw and 1 1/4" bolt. The screw was patched while the bolt destroyed the tire. I should have my spare from Ben this evening and I'm going to keep a full size spare tire too for the long trip to nowhere.
The problem is the "donut type" spare is only recommended for distances up to 50 miles.......

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
So where have you ever found yourself that is 50 miles from a) a tire shop, b) a tow truck, c) a hotel, or d) a phone?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
So where have you ever found yourself that is 50 miles from a) a tire shop, b) a tow truck, c) a hotel, or d) a phone?
Northern Michigan...... :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
pm sent

·
Registered
897 Posts
Got my spare yesterday, thanks Ben. As I said earlier, I plan on keeping a full size tire too. When I plan trips to the wild blue yonder then I will carry a tire too. The size is not typically in stock, so I think it's a wise move. The 50 mile spare will at least get me to a shop hopefully. AAA if not.

Anybody have a spare 18" rim to sell?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Argh, I guess I fell asleep last night, so my longer drafted reply is sitting on my home PC's browser window...

To keep it short in the meantime:
Thanks everyone. I had seen Ben's thread about having one for sale while searching yesterday afternoon.
The problem is that I need the bag and mounting straps to secure it so it does not bounce around. The bag and straps go for $175 and the entire kit (with the tire and rim as well) goes for $245, so I would need the tire and rim for less than $70 shipped to make it worth my while.

Bag and straps (no tire and rim) for $175
http://www.volvopartswebsite.com/OEMParts/volvo-158/3/31373122.html

Kit with bag, straps for $245:
http://www.genuinevolvoaccessories.com/product-p/31373123.htm

Let me know if I am missing something...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the valuable feedback guys!!!

I ordered the spare tire kit with the tire mounted on a rim, bag and straps.
Hopefully the added weight is minimal enough (especially since it is a tempa spare and not a full sized heavy alloy rim and tire) that acceleration impact will be pretty minimal.
At least now I won't be at the mercy of a tow truck if a rim gets damaged (by a big pothole e.g.)

I looked at the S60 manual and it had an asterisk next to the jack etc. saying 'optional accessory'. I read somewhere else that it was standard for USA models (on a desacription of a 2013 S60).
Sure enough I walked over the parking lot and my car does have the jack and other accessories in a foam block under the trunk 'floor' panel, so that saved $89.

Anybody know the approximate weight of the spare tire and rim by the way? Just curious...

·
Registered
897 Posts
I just threw my new one in the trunk this morning and I dont think it's really more than 20 lbs.

Hopefully the added weight is minimal enough (especially since it is a tempa spare and not a full sized heavy alloy rim and tire) that acceleration impact will be pretty minimal.
At least now I won't be at the mercy of a tow truck if a rim gets damaged (by a big pothole e.g.)

I looked at the S60 manual and it had an asterisk next to the jack etc. saying 'optional accessory'. I read somewhere else that it was standard for USA models (on a desacription of a 2013 S60).
Sure enough I walked over the parking lot and my car does have the jack and other accessories in a foam block under the trunk 'floor' panel, so that saved $89.

Anybody know the approximate weight of the spare tire and rim by the way? Just curious...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

Kit Tempa spare, Bag, Straps 32 lbs.

Kit Jack, Tool, Foam block 5.5 lbs.

Kit Bag and Straps 2.6 lbs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks 64pvolvo1800 and GregK.
So officially 32 lbs. Nice and light (i.e. kit weight is less than 1% of the curb weight of the car, referring to a 2012 S60 R-Design).

The biggest downside then is the portion of the trunk space I will be losing, but that is rarely needed in my case (except for vacations and a few other occasions here and there).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
wait... is there something i'm missing? The Volvos don't have a full sized spare?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
wait... is there something i'm missing? The Volvos don't have a full sized spare?
No full sized spare.........and the tempa spare is an option (and takes up trunk space since there's no well below the trunk floor). It's a safety feature.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Interesting...so they don't offer any sort of spare? (I never thought to look at this when I test drove...)

Would the tempa be ok if i have the RD wheels?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts