SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have now had the unfortunate luck of having two flat tires about 200 miles away from home. As most of you know, the donut spare is only good for 50 mph and 50 miles. The former is a pretty hard rule (it overheats rapidly if you drive it faster), the latter is a soft rule. If you drive slow, with as little weight as possible in the car, and especially if the road/weather is cold/wet, you can get much more than 50 miles out of it. Just make sure to put it in the rear and pull fuse 17 to make your caR front wheel drive to protect the Haldex. A standard Peg wheel does not fit in the spare wheel location in the trunk.
Has anyone figured out a combo of rim / tire that does clear our brakes, has a sim circumference to our 235/45 17 tires, and fits in the spare tire location (for a VR)?

Wife is actively lobbying for a "real spare tire"... :(

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the link. I do not have a subwoofer, but I do have the grocery bag holder option and hence the tray is deeper. I had found that others made it ft without the grocery option.
Seems like some (Lead Foot 60) have gotten an overseas version of the tray that is shallower? I'll see if I can figure that one out. Thank you again for the links - appreciated!

The perfect solution would be to find someone that has figured out a wheel tire combo that clears the brakes, but is significantly narrower, say at 195 or even 185 profile tire on a 17" rim.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thank you very much for the link. I do not have a subwoofer, but I do have the grocery bag holder option and hence the tray is deeper. I had found that others made it ft without the grocery option.
Seems like some (Lead Foot 60) have gotten an overseas version of the tray that is shallower? I'll see if I can figure that one out. Thank you again for the links - appreciated!

The perfect solution would be to find someone that has figured out a wheel tire combo that clears the brakes, but is significantly narrower, say at 195 or even 185 profile tire on a 17" rim.
I just updated my post. Shallow tray part number is 8650397.

It should look like this:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DarekP - thank you very much! And it's $80, not $500....

Incredible - problem solved in 30 minutes on a Sunday - how did we survive before the Internet?

·
Registered
876 Posts

Incredible - problem solved in 30 minutes on a Sunday - how did we survive before the Internet?
:)
And just for ****s and giggles, here it is in VIDA

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

Let me know if it fits well - I just put a full 235/45-17 Conti DWS on a Peg in as a spare by... taking the tray out! It fits fine if you remove the stupid foam spacers for the compact spare, there's still about an inch or so of clearance, and I no longer have to take the stupid tray out every time I go for some of the junk I have packed in there. Just for tidiness, I cut a piece of cardboard to fit and may custom-cut a sheet of open-celled Lexan sheet to replace it, but I don't miss the tray at all.

The bonus is that I think the compact spare must weigh almost as much (something to do with the anti-lock or traction/stability control?) so there can't be much of any weight gain.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Wait a minute, can I get this container for an 04? and still have the full size spare?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
A standard peg does fit. I have a full sized tire mounted on a 17" peg in my trunk. From the looks of it, even the 18" peg would possibly fit.

I did have to remove the foam blocks underneath the donut spare for the tire to fit flush.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - removed the foam blocks and a 17" peg fits, as does a 17" snow tire (same profile). However, there is no way the tray fits. Which I guess means that I have the deeper tray. Also, there is very limited clearance for any tray with the grocery holder option, so not sure it's even worth the $80 for the shallow tray. I think I'll just leave it as is, not like we had a lot of valuable stuff in that tray anyhow, and some of it can fit in a plastic bag inside the spare.

DarekP - again - thank you!

·
6,436 Posts
what's the point of logging a full size spare? You'll have to change it anyhow since it's not going to be the same wear level as the rest 3 tires....same thing goes with the donut - so really what's the point of adding this extra weight? ...I think it's rather silly

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
what's the point of logging a full size spare? You'll have to change it anyhow since it's not going to be the same wear level as the rest 3 tires....same thing goes with the donut - so really what's the point of adding this extra weight? ...I think it's rather silly
well, the spare donut would look silly first of all, secondly there's a speed limit to that thing. So it's a pita if your on some sort of long road trip etc.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Thanks for the timing of this post. I was able to get a 19 peg replica during the IPD sale. Not I just need to see if it will fit with the 3rd row seat :confused:

As to the extra weight LOL I'm going to be packing the R for another Lap around America in 31 days, when you are nowhere near a dealer its nice not to have to limp in at 50mph. It will also allow me to get a proper set of replacement tires without having to pay the I need it now price of whatever the local tire shop might have

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Read my post again. If you get a flat, far away from home, esp on a weekend, you are F;d if you only have the donut. With a proper wheel, you can at least always mount it in the rear, pull fuse #17 and drive for hundreds of miles in front wheel drive mode. The rich guys would just call AAA, flat bed the car to home base and then get a rental car. But that will not only cost an arm and a leg, but it will take a lot longer and be way more hassle.
Weight? The donut weighs 32 lbs, my 17" Peg with Conti Extremecontact is 46 lbs. That's 14 lbs or about 2 gallons of gas. Do you always drive with a quarter tank? It would be silly to fill it up more....

·
Registered
876 Posts
If I ever do this, my full spare would match the rest of my wheels / tires. Than I would rotate it on regular bases to avoid thread wear issue.
You never know, one sidewall puncture (knock on wood) and that full spare would come in very handy. That actually happened to me twice, but not on the R :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
With a full size spare you rotate a different tire off the car each time you rotate the wheels.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The rich guys would just call AAA, flat bed the car to home base and then get a rental car. But that will not only cost an arm and a leg, but it will take a lot longer and be way more hassle.

Well not a rich guy, but with our long trips away from Volvo Country ( NorCal ) I would not be without my 200 mile tow, with AAA. for under 200.00 a year well worth it. A tow to my dealer ( 16 miles) was $200.00 . Covered by my Insurance but it was a reimbursement. Also with a full size I do not have to wait for AAA just unpack change and I'm on my way. If you do a lot of road trips its hard to beat the 4 90 mile tows and two 200 mile tows per year, no matter what car you are in

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I <3 my full size spare, it is identical to all my other wheels and, because it's asymmetric, it can go on any corner. I just rotate it in to keep it similar in wear to all the other tires. No more down time waiting for a replacement tire and wheel straightening, the small amount of extra weight is a non-issue for me. Wagons are different, but here is my thread for the mods I had to do to my grocery bag thingy in my 05 SR to get the wheel (18" TDR) to fit: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?139524-Full-size-spaRe-mounted-in-trunk-well-(with-pics)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
+ :thumbup:

on the Tire Pressure Monitoring System for the spare. Where did you mount the monitor , and did you do it for all tires ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts