SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've spent the past three months or so looking at pics of others' S60s and soliciting advice. Tis probably time that I return the favors.

There's been a couple of (and often less than flattering) comments about the spare and even the need for it.

We opted to order one when we optioned out our car. It's a port installed option, btw. We also ordered the plastic trunk mat (dealer part).

I don't think the spare intrudes too much into the available trunk space. True, you probably won't be able to add a trunk organizer and that mobster guy across the street won't be asking borrow your ride to, uh, make some disposals. But if you're putting groceries back there or a few suitcases I think you'll be fine.

I am a bit disappointed in the mat, however. It plain doesn't fit. If you notice, it doesn't play well with the tie down straps. I've had to trim away at the edges to get it to stay flat and not chaff away at the straps. The parts people agreed that, in lieu of a redesign, this was the only recourse.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is this the reversible mat? I also have the spare and wanted to put a mat in the back. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The trunk mat that is shown in these pictures is not the reversible mat. That mat doesn't have the raised edges. I have the same mat that is pictures and I have to admit that I was surprised by its size when I got it. I was hoping for something that would cover the entire bottom of the trunk.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this the reversible mat? I also have the spare and wanted to put a mat in the back. Thanks for the pictures.

No. As seaton pointed out, it is not.

I wonder if it will fit better?

I purchased an OEM rubber load space mat for my Discovery that was very, very nice. I assumed the same quality from Volvo when I ordered it. Instead, it's ill fitting and actually quite flimsy. That's my only real complaint so far, though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No. As seaton pointed out, it is not.

I wonder if it will fit better?

I purchased an OEM rubber load space mat for my Discovery that was very, very nice. I assumed the same quality from Volvo when I ordered it. Instead, it's ill fitting and actually quite flimsy. That's my only real complaint so far, though.
I have the reversible mat and it fits perfectly in my 2012 T6.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I have that mat too and was a bit surprised that it did not cover the entire trunk as well. The online description also mentioned that "The mat allows access to loading eyes and bag holder". I guess they meant you could still fish the tie downs under it. :rolleyes: I got it for the rubber anti-slip feature because whatever I had put in the trunk would would eventually cover every inch of the trunk. I'm not sure what material they used to line the trunk but it offers absolute zero resistance.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Forgive me - but this is just horrible...there is NO space in the trunk for anything else...the Soviet Moskvich that I drove in early 70th had a better layout...and that was a full-size spare mind you...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. This does however - in my opinion - highlights the absurdity of the situation. Because of the position of the spare in the middle of the boot (trunk) and the restraining straps, you really can't fit anything else in there (suitcases etc) unless you are happy to have them balancing on top of the spare. And if you are going to go to all this trouble - why not a full size spare?

Tony

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just loaded my trunk for the first time today. It did take more than expected, but two suitcases are on top of the spare, and other assorted gear is snug around it. Now, if i were to have a flat on I-95, i might be pretty ticked at having to unload on a dangerous highway to get the tire and jack out. But, that didn,t happen as of yet so i'm ok. Still, volvo blew the spare tire on this car, in my opinion (see earlier rant in OSD page) - or, better yet, skip it.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I just loaded my trunk for the first time today. It did take more than expected, but two suitcases are on top of the spare, and other assorted gear is snug around it. Now, if i were to have a flat on I-95, i might be pretty ticked at having to unload on a dangerous highway to get the tire and jack out. But, that didn,t happen as of yet so i'm ok. Still, volvo blew the spare tire on this car, in my opinion (see earlier rant in OSD page) - or, better yet, skip it.
Yep, and I just came back from Boston, loaded 2 large (really large) suitcases and one carry-on into the S80's "boot" and it looked empty...plenty of room above the suitcases...or around them, if I put them "standing" on the side, instead of "laying" on the back...but you are correct...enough of rant...

·
Super Moderator
39,274 Posts

I am a bit confused...what is the difference between the spare tire inside the trunk vs. in its "traditional" spot, under the trunk liner? Either way, wouldn't you have to unload the contents of the trunk in order to get to the tire?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am a bit confused...what is the difference between the spare tire inside the trunk vs. in its "traditional" spot, under the trunk liner? Either way, wouldn't you have to unload the contents of the trunk in order to get to the tire?
I would have hoped the S60 came with a traditional spot under the liner, so if I buy the spare (i did) it would not lay in the middle of the trunk.. so my 'stuff' has more room.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got mine as well; I do not have it tied down and I have it pushed to the right and as far back as possible; I have 2 Volvo all weather floor mats under it from my previous S80 and this keeps it from wandering around.
Having destroyed 1 tire already and having had another one replaced for free due to a manufacturing defect I felt I really needed this; I do though find this whole situation quite ridiculous; I know it has been debated back and forth on this forum about the "lack of the spare tire situation".
Next time I either get the run flats or my deal will include the spare; I think after 14 vehicles purchased from my dealer that 's the least they can do; I realize it is not their fault but in the overall scheme of things the cost of that item is small in comparison to keeping aloyal customer happy ! Just my 2 cents !!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I would have hoped the S60 came with a traditional spot under the liner, so if I buy the spare (i did) it would not lay in the middle of the trunk.. so my 'stuff' has more room.
The floor well is now occupied by the dual exhaust muffler......mounted sideways.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
If You look at the Symbol on the Tire Cover - say to Me one - Left to Right - Your 90 degree's Off , so the Other Straps would Play better with Set-up .

Unless Your Going to the Arctic Circle , or the Siberia - Who needs a Spare ?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
If You look at the Symbol on the Tire Cover - say to Me one - Left to Right - Your 90 degree's Off , so the Other Straps would Play better with Set-up .

Really? What would you do if your rear left tire shredded 10 miles south of Kettleman City on I-5 and there is nothing but the fields with some kind of crop around as far as you can see? (Real life scenario)...

With the "donut" spare - 10-15 min and I am on my way to locate the tire shop and buy the full size replacement...

Without?..............................

·
Registered
71 Posts

Hit a large pothole here in NY and you can kiss your tire goodbye...and in may cases, the wheel as well

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hit a large pothole here in NY and you can kiss your tire goodbye...and in may cases, the wheel as well
Kind of makes me want to keep my SUV's.............. :(

·
Registered
654 Posts
We opted to order one when we optioned out our car. It's a port installed option, btw. We also ordered the plastic trunk mat (dealer part).

I don't think the spare intrudes too much into the available trunk space.
So the Volvo Tempa spare fits in the trunk, not under the trunk mat????? :confused:
Bob

1 - 20 of 49 Posts