SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been a topic discussed at length. I have a differenet perspective after finding a screw sticking out of my side wall/tread (tire had 2,300 miles) while on vacation in Michigan. :mad:
Fortunately, it only reqired a trip to a dealership in Traverse City to discover that it was very short and only reqired a simple removal! :)

I am now considering ordering the spare tire but had a couple of questions. What was the cost and how far can one drive on this spare? It is my unerstanding that it is more of a "donut" type spare and that it can only be used for a limited time. Would this be a good investment for the additional peace of mind???

I am unconcerned about a spare for city driving (it would not even be used), but for longer trips this event had me very nervous while vacationing 600 miles from home.....

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Pretty sure I've seen posts that it costs a couple hundred bucks and would probably be as usable as any donut spare - strong enough to get you to a tire store or dealership but not something I would want to drive on with a full load in the car, just my opinion. My concern with the spare would be if you use it for trips it takes up a fair amount of the luggage space in the trunk.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Take my advice; just get it; have used it twice since I have had it; wish I had it the first time !!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ordered one when I ordered my car. I wouldnt be caught without it. Just a shame there is no wheel well and it takes up too much trunk space.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For thoses using the spare.............do you leave it in the car at all times, or only when traveling away from home???

·
Registered
808 Posts
In my opinion, I would leave it in at all times. Do you really want to wait for a tow and possibly ruin your plans? Or do a 10-15 minute tire change and be on your way? (that is, if you will be changing it yourself)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I leave it in unless I need the trunk space.

Should cost about 200 all in depending on taxes where you live, whatever dealer accessory offers your local market has, etc...

I'd go on Ebay though, I see them popping up on there for around one hundred bucks pretty regularly.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I leave it in unless I need the trunk space.

Should cost about 200 all in depending on taxes where you live, whatever dealer accessory offers your local market has, etc...

I'd go on Ebay though, I see them popping up on there for around one hundred bucks pretty regularly.
Interesting thought.....I was going to use a 15% off coupon but just might check that out!!! Thanks.......

·
Registered
80 Posts
According to my dealer, the list price is $245.24, and it includes the bag to store the tire and the straps to secure it to the hooks in the trunk. The part no. is 31316306.

If you buy it online, watch out for the shipping charge; the last one I saw was $30.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
According to my dealer, the list price is $245.24, and it includes the bag to store the tire and the straps to secure it to the hooks in the trunk. The part no. is 31316306.

If you buy it online, watch out for the shipping charge; the last one I saw was $30.
I have the 18" wheels so I may have to call the dealer and verify price/part number......I will watch out for shipping fees if I end up going that route....thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the 18" tires so I may have to call the dealer and verify price/part number......I will watch out for shipping fees if I end up going that route....thanks.
The Volvo spare tire kit for the S60 only comes in a 17-inch diameter. It doesn't matter that it's a 17-inch wheel, since it carries a temporary, narrow and high-profile tire that ends up being the same diameter as the 18-inch wheel-tire combination on your car. If you were to buy a wheel and tire to match the ones on your car, it would cost way more than $500 - and take up twice as much space in the trunk as the temporary spare.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Volvo spare tire kit for the S60 only comes in a 17-inch diameter. It doesn't matter that it's a 17-inch wheel, since it carries a temporary, narrow and high-profile tire that ends up being the same diameter as the 18-inch wheel-tire combination on your car. If you were to buy a wheel and tire to match the ones on your car, it would cost way more than $500 - and take up twice as much space in the trunk as the temporary spare.
Thanks for the heads up.....

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Because I spend a lot of time in areas with poor cell coverage (and infrequent Volvo dealers) I made sure to get the spare. It was supposed to be in the car when I picked it up at the dealer but the delivery person messed up (my salescritter was on vacation).

I leave it in the trunk all the time.

When I towed a pop-up trailer (previous car), I purchased a full-sized spare (cheap steel wheel) to prevent driving problems.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am so happy I kept the 16" wheels and tires from my V50... I can use one of those as a spare whenever I travel out of the city, and in case I have a problem, I can always go home and pick it when I drive around the city in case I need it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am so happy I kept the 16" wheels and tires from my V50... I can use one of those as a spare whenever I travel out of the city, and in case I have a problem, I can always go home and pick it when I drive around the city in case I need it.
Are they the same total diameter as the tires on your S60? If they're not, you could damage the FWD (or AWD) on your S60 if you only use one.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are they the same total diameter as the tires on your S60? If they're not, you could damage the FWD (or AWD) on your S60 if you only use one.
That was what I was thinking......don't want to trade one problem for another even bigger problem!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I just wish the Tempa spare was of the collapsing variety (we already have an air pump). If it can't be stowed under the floor than it should be as small as possible. It eats up a lot of floor space. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Take it from someone who got a flat late on a Friday afternoon, I can say without a doubt that all cars should have a spare. Road side assistance helps with a tow to a tire shop but then you're stranded there because you know they won't have your tire in stock (and they didn't). My S60 was out of service for 3+ days over a flat tire...uuggh. At least Volvo makes one you can buy. If you have a 3 series you are SOL.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Take it from someone who got a flat late on a Friday afternoon, I can say without a doubt that all cars should have a spare. Road side assistance helps with a tow to a tire shop but then you're stranded there because you know they won't have your tire in stock (and they didn't). My S60 was out of service for 3+ days over a flat tire...uuggh. At least Volvo makes one you can buy. If you have a 3 series you are SOL.
I have been told you should not drive more than 50 or so miles on the spare........what the heck! That isn't a whole lot of help on a trip when who knows where the closest tire store will be....one may be better off just getting towed, esp if I am not one that would want to change a flat.....

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have an extra spare available if anyone is interested...
pm for info.
sorry to jack the thead

1 - 20 of 38 Posts