SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a contact who is able to 3D print the little crappy rubber rings that break off of the base of the spaceball. He is willing to make a run of them in flexible silver material but will need to buy some upgrades to his 3D printing setup to handle the flexible material needed.

We will move forward with making these en masse if we can get ~50 people to commit at a price of $10 shipped each. Below that point he's losing money on the setup. I do have an alternative non-group buy method I will post here if this doesn't work out, but the price will be substantially higher per unit.

Please note that I am not going to be taking money myself, just gauging interest. I'll have him handle the group buy directly if there's enough interest, I'm just the messenger. I realize I've posted two group buy interest- gauging threads at once, but I've been busy. :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm in. Always down to support these kinds of ventures.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I'm in for one as well.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm in.

Would like to see the color though, it will probably look better than the yellowish ring the car came with, but just curious on the appearance.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm in for two

·
Registered
173 Posts
What filament is he printing with? I'm assuming a type of TPU?
Thats a small part to print in flexible filament, resolution will need to be high. Gonna be a tough print. One downfall is flexible filaments don't "smooth" that well (if at all really) so expect to see the striations in the print still. Flexible filaments are a b!tch to print in my experience. Its definitely gonna take some trial and error. Start at lowest recommended temps and work up from there. Its gonna be a stringy mess until you get your settings right. Theres some SLA printers with resin that would be well suited for this. With time you can probably get something acceptable using FDM, but don't expect oem quality.

I would probably make an simple injection mold. It would be a smoother final product and easier to knock out a bunch of them.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
One for me

·
Registered
353 Posts
I want one

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Pics of this piece installed?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Pictures would be nice, but I am interested as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts