SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Wow, who has this kind of time on their hands?
Actually less time than waiting for shuttle from and to dealership. Just need a powered socket drive to help on those 10 easy bolts.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good write-up, but I’m lazy - so...
My only question is “Why.” 😀

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My only question is “Why.”
Well for me, having a lift helps.

I enjoy working on my own cars. It gives me peace of mind that I did the extra work. By no means am I a dealer mechanic though.

I’m an engineer, so this kind of stuff interests me 🤣

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I just get a loaner
The autonation franchise here share same shuttle among MB, Volvo, maybe BMW, Audi too. Compare with the Ford Focus from onsite Enterprise rental, I'd ride the shuttle.

Rolling, Fusion Red XC60 T8

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow, who has this kind of time on their hands?
I just get a loaner
My only question is “Why.” 😀
That's a shame!
It takes me no longer than 30 minutes to change the oil, perhaps 45 if I'm slow _and_ I rotate the tires. It actually takes me far less time than doing to the dealer.

For my 'free' scheduled maintenance I'll be going to the dealer but once those run out, I'll be on my own.

(I also do my own electrical work, all house IT work, minor plumbing, drywall, painting, gardening, brake jobs, minor carpentry) Electrical engineer during week days! :thumbup::beer::D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks! Do you need a ramp to access the belly pan? I have air suspension, so I'm thinking if I changed it to off road mode, shut the car, then I don't have to raise the car to do an oil change?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Thanks! Do you need a ramp to access the belly pan? I have air suspension, so I'm thinking if I changed it to off road mode, shut the car, then I don't have to raise the car to do an oil change?
The idea is to lift the front end of car to let more oil drain out, as the drain plug is at rear of oil pan. My driveway is a small slope and I can park the car at top of slope so it tilts up and do the oil change if I am lazy.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
stick_shift - thanks for doing this!! While I do not change the oil/filter on our Volvos (always assumed it was more difficult than other cars) I do change the oil on my nicees' Hondas and Hyundais. This proves that the cartridge filter set up, while very different, is really not that more involved than the traditional set up. Our 12 XC60 is due for an oil change next month so I may give it a try. There is nothing more satisfying than an quick and easy DIY project.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I didn't use ramps the first time but I will next time since it was a little challenging to fit my drill under there when removing the skid plate. I have shallow ramps with ~3" lift that should be perfect. It will also help with oil drainage as someone suggested.

stick_shift - thanks for doing this!! While I do not change the oil/filter on our Volvos (always assumed it was more difficult than other cars) I do change the oil on my nicees' Hondas and Hyundais. This proves that the cartridge filter set up, while very different, is really not that more involved than the traditional set up. Our 12 XC60 is due for an oil change next month so I may give it a try. There is nothing more satisfying than an quick and easy DIY project.
Yes, it is all the same except the shape of the filter. My Toyota Tundra has a similar setup to the Volvo, ie. a filter housing with a small drain plug. Some other Toyota/Lexus models also have it.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
When taking off the cartridge, there is more dirty oil spill than other filter. I bag the cartridge in a plastic bag while taking it off to catch the spill and keep my hand cleaner.

Rolling, Fusion Red XC60 T8

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
oil changes are MUCH easier with a lift. But rhino ramps are a good alternative

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Fantastic post. +1 and Thank you.

I too, am 'that way inclined' to do my own car maintenance. And I too, have nice soft hands from IT work
This post led me on a day of discovery...some may say wasted ...because it seriously has been a whole Sunday: 8am to 7pm!...I could have mowed the lawns, watched a movie, gone for a walk, talked with my family.... I guess! Hmmm.

I caught out the local dealership: they hadn't replaced the engine oil. I found grains of sand on the filler cap housing and o-ring after a service (long story how that got there....the short version is: demonstrator model that went for an adventure on a beach in Queensland....a serious adventure by all accounts....sand EVERYWHERE!) and so I figured that the cap hadn't been taken off at it's service, thus the oil not changed. No service technician in their right mind would replace that without cleaning off (the very evident) sand...at least I hope not! I'll see if I can dig out the pic of the sandy o-ring.

Hence my reason for wanting to do my own maintenance

Any ways. As the great ad in the 80'-90's from Castrol said: "Oils ain't Oils".

It's not just the viscosity range you need to look out for here. It's the specific ACEA ratings and/or Volvo Specifications that matter. In Australia and the UK, it's recommended to use a 0w20 weight, whilst the US recommends the 5w30. Why?
Lord only knows the answer to that question as my research today came up with nil.

Volvo recommends ACEA A5-B5 and/or VCC RBS0-2AE. The Pennzoil you've chosen falls in that criterion....so well done . The Ultra Platinum version is slightly better at cold start ups....just only very slightly.

Ultra Platinum v Platinum

As you're all probably aware, Castrol and Volvo partnered up in the development of the 2ltr turbo engine used in the XC90 (and the variation before, that was used in the XC60)
My preference in oils has been Liqui-Moly since 2013...it's just that good. Engine runs smoother, quieter and fuel economy improves. Have tested this enough against other brands to know it's not BS.

So, Liqui-Moly have an oil that is VCC RBS0-2AE compliant...Special Tec V 0w20.
Has a low pour point, high flash point, a higher Viscosity Index and a lower 40ºC Viscosity and higher 100ºC Viscosity than the specially developed Castrol Professional Edge.
The trouble is, getting it in Australia is difficult. In fact, the Castrol Professional Edge is also difficult...I'll leave it to you to search for this puppy!

Now....

Liqui-Moly also do a Special Tec 0w30 that is VCC 95200377 rated(a Volvo rating and approved for the XC60 2 Ltr turbo'd engine) and ACEA A5-B5 rated...It is pretty damn close to the V 0w20 but is better on the 100ºC Viscosity and also the Total Base Number (11.1 mg KOH/g compared with the V0w20 @ 7.9....higher is better).
The only drawback is it's Sulfate Ash result... <=1.6 wt% compared with 0.9wt%...lower is better.

My question to the audience is.... will this higher sulphate result, affect the catalytic converter in a negative way?

FYI, EUROL do a nice alternative too that is also compliant.

Thank you for your attention

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
As promised, here is the UOA. It seems to be well worth it to change it out at 5k or even earlier, especially if you're committed to long term ownership. (Those leasing probably don't care...)

·
Registered
211 Posts
As promised, here is the UOA. It seems to be well worth it to change it out at 5k or even earlier, especially if you're committed to long term ownership. (Those leasing probably don't care...)

You’re truly awesome doing this and sharing it. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
876 Posts
I did an oil change on our 2018 XC90 at 5k miles, these steps and pics should apply for any 2016/2017/2018/2019 vehicle.
[This thread is for those interested in doing the oil change, not intended to start a holy war. Head over to BITOG for that :D]
I applaud both OP's industry and the quality and detail of the presentation. :thumbup: Its principal utility for me is proving that Volvo's inclusion of first 3 years' services is not trivial.

Last time I changed my own oil was on a Jag E-type during the Nixon administration, and I thought that was complicated.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts