SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source of oil / power steering fluid leak

2000 V70R. It stays under a car cover in the garage over the winter. I start it every so often during the winter months. I moved it out of the garage over the weekend only to find a good sized (5 inch) oil puddle under it. I assumed it was oil as it was clear and I had just changed the oil before storing the car for the winter.

Anyway, after much hunting I just can't find the source of the leak. It seems to be dripping from the bottom of the a/c compressor making me think it's actually power steering fluid from the p/s pump above it. The fluid is so clear - almost too clear to be motor oil.

The p/s pump seems to be dry - just a little damp on the surface of the hose that goes to the reservoir. The line that goes to the rack is dry.

I don't think the turbo return line is in play - as the leak is more to the front of the car. No leak from the base of the dipstick.

Has anyone encountered a leak which appeared to find it's way to the bottom of the a/c compressor before dripping on the ground? I just can't seem to find the source.

Thanks! Steve.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Source of oil / power steering fluid leak (nelson)

Thanks, I did check that - it was damp but not leaking. This is a significant leak. I did run the car and check the hose to see if it was leaking while running - it stayed dry under the hose, but it was still dripping under the car.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Re: Source of oil / power steering fluid leak (mumpsdba)

Isn't power steering fluid red, not clear?

The HVAC system holds an oil called ester oil that is added when you top up the r134a- it comes in the can that you use to refill. Compressors like somewhat regular use and the seals may have gone- not unexpected on a car with such low miles in 9 years. Probably ought to check r134a level, if ac is working.

Remember that a 5 in oil spot is just a few drips really.

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Make sure it's oil and not antifreeze.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.