SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've finally taken the plunge into an '06 XC90, which needs new headlights due to fading. I'm looking for a source for euro headlights, but seem to be coming up dry every place I search (here, Google, TB, etc).

I see Skandix' European site has different part #'s for the headlights "without adjusting motors" than the US #'s, but I'm not sure if those are going to be compatible with the mounting arrangement for the US spec (that don't use adjusting motors at all)?

Is there such a thing as a euro-spec headlight for this car, or just the xenon's?

Any other suggestions to get good light on the road (short of just adding aftermarket lights)?

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Funny you bring this up. I was looking today and from the photos of the later model european XC90, it also has the orange reflector, usually something US owner don't like.

You can have your headlights polished to remove the fading for about $150-$200 depending on your location. A local shop quoted me $175 to clean up my '07 lights.

www.erievovo.com may have some used light for a fraction of the cost of new units. If you add the bi-xenon to a non-xenon XC90, you may need to add ballasts ... I don't recall if the XC90 xenon headlight contains all the necessary components or not.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The Active Bi-Xenon Projector headlights will not work in an XC90 that previously had halogens or reflector xenon lights. There was a thread earlier about trying to get them to work. All they could do was get them to light up, but they would instantly point straight at the ground. They do however have built in ballasts if you buy the whole assembly (about $900 from volvopartswebstore.com) From what I have heard though, the reflector xenons will work in a 90 previously equipped with halogens.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Polishing is generally a short-term fix as it removes the uv-protectant and it can't be added back.

When not faded, the US-spec halogen lights on the XC90 are actually pretty decent, with good bulb choices and large reflector area. All the more so if you swap the low-beam H11's for an H9 bulb (requires a minor modification to the bulb mounting base) and the high-beam H7's for the Osram Rally 65w. Together these will nearly double the light output in a safe, inexpensive way. You won't be wanting for light and I doubt it's worthwhile to source the European spec alternative.

Additionally, as per this post here, updated today, the XC90 has a factory available auxiliary lighting kit for mounting driving lights of your choosing. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...it-Installation-Instructions-Part-Numbers-Etc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts