SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled the axle with the damaged boot today. It looks like the axle is assembled in such a way that the CV's cannot be removed from the shaft. Why they would design it that way is beyond me. Basically, if I can't figure out a way to patch the nick in the accordion there is no choice but to purchase a complete axle. I'm gonna try heavy duty heat shrink (has to be 3" ID to get over the CV, 2:1 ratio to shrink down to approx 1.8" over the nicked rib) before I spend $500 on a bloody axle.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
If you wind up needing an axle, I'd look for a used one to save some money. They are not a common failure so I'd have no hesitations going used.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I always wondered about using a tire patch kit (like the kind you'd use on a bike tire inner tube). Maybe a dumb idea?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Or maybe try a Stretch CV boot from https://www.stretchcvboot.com/cv-boots/. Looks like you need their special tool to stretch it over the joint so that might get expensive.
All Balls (yes, that is the name) makes a stretch boot for roadside fix on whatever these are meant for.

They actually have a standard boot in or really close to the correct dimensions, that I ordered before realizing the axle can't be dismantled. I found this chart with all available sizes.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always wondered about using a tire patch kit (like the kind you'd use on a bike tire inner tube). Maybe a dumb idea?
Won't stick to the composite material the factory boots are made of. What I've done, is clean the nick in the boot thoroughly with chemicals, then superglue the tear back together, using multiple thin layers of HD superglue. Once that is finished, I'll be adding the rib of shrink wrap over the rib in question. See how that goes. If it still leaks grease in use, I'll go from there.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A split CV boot is $20 and will work just fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrGNU_t83Y
Have you personal experience with using one? Saying it will work just fine based on a YT commercial video is not valid evidence. I wouldn't trust that as far as I could throw it. I understand Plastics/Adhesives have developed significantly, but still. The boot isn't going to flex uniformly at the bulky seam location.

Besides all that, you'd still need to find a source that lists the dimensions, to figure one that would fit, since aftermarket uses OEM patterns for replacements (that they sell) to make theirs in the first place.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I've never used a split boot, and I would never use one on a front outer. But on a rear one that doesn't have to turn (and a regular boot may not be available), it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Have you personal experience with using one? Saying it will work just fine based on a YT commercial video is not valid evidence. I wouldn't trust that as far as I could throw it. I understand Plastics/Adhesives have developed significantly, but still. The boot isn't going to flex uniformly at the bulky seam location.

Besides all that, you'd still need to find a source that lists the dimensions, to figure one that would fit, since aftermarket uses OEM patterns for replacements (that they sell) to make theirs in the first place.
Kind of funny, for someone using a super glue and heat shrink bodge. I wouldn`t use one on a front outer, but rear axle would be fine. Figuring dimensions to fit are easy, measure the axle.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kind of funny, for someone using a super glue and heat shrink bodge. I wouldn`t use one on a front outer, but rear axle would be fine. Figuring dimensions to fit are easy, measure the axle.
Yeah, slight difference between gluing an entire boot (of questionable quality material) and repairing a 1/8" nick in an OEM boot. The heat shrink is only there to protect the repair, not for structural support.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You`re scaring me now. With your logic you would repair a punctured tire or a radiator hose with a 1/8'' nick using super glue. I have a feeling duct tape is your #1 tool. This bodge won`t last a week.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You`re scaring me now. With your logic you would repair a punctured tire or a radiator hose with a 1/8'' nick using super glue. I have a feeling duct tape is your #1 tool. This bodge won`t last a week.
I don't know you, and you don't know me. Keep your insults to yourself. I haven't questioned your personal integrity.

As I stated earlier, in the event this doesn't hold up & makes a mess, I will post pics to indicate the failure & replace the axle. I have no qualms owning failures on my part.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts