SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of Continental DWS 06's two years ago and have really liked them so far. Recently, however, I've been detecting what I think is tire noise. I don't know why I didn't notice it before but lately it's been more and more noticeable.

So I rotated my tires over the weekend. The rears had noticeably more tread, so I thought I'd be in good shape.

Nope. I still hear it. No real change.

Could it be something else? Wheel bearings? Other bearings? Part of the AWD system?

I've got quite a bit of tread left on these tires and they weren't cheap, so I don't think I'll be replacing them soon.

But still, thought I'd check in.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Tire noise 110% - had two sets on previous V70R and they both got noisy (feathered tread) after two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire noise 110% - had two sets on previous V70R and they both got noisy (feathered tread) after two years.

Damn. Why the heck do the treads feather like that? I had it aligned two years and 8k (maybe 10k) miles ago when I put the tires on.

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
I also had this issue with DWS on my old V70R and attributed it to alignment. If you're already getting noise after only 10k miles then I'd wonder if it was aligned properly when you had it done. This is going back but did they give you the before and after sheet? I tore up a set of Pirelli's on my wife's XC60 because the toe was way out and I neglected to have it aligned when I got new tires.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Believe the DWS issue is also tread compound and shape - have had the same issue with Pirellis but never with Michelins on the same vehicles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ask about "road force" i bought a ceritified s60 and complained about road noise and some vibration. they replaced all four tires and said the "road force" was very high which caused that. I believe its some machine they put the tire on to check the roundness of the rubber? don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I got a set of Continental DWS 06's two years ago and have really liked them so far. Recently, however, I've been detecting what I think is tire noise. I don't know why I didn't notice it before but lately it's been more and more noticeable.

So I rotated my tires over the weekend. The rears had noticeably more tread, so I thought I'd be in good shape.

If the tire is making noise due to uneven wear, a common cause is "feathering" where the leading and trailing edges of tread blocks are at different heights making an almost sawtooth looking pattern. In this case the tire will generally make a similar noise if you move it to a different corner of the car, until the tread has seen some miles to wear off the high spots. Some tire tread designs are more prone to this than others. I have never owned Conti DWS, but I actually avoid buying them because I once saw a half worn set on a friends Audi S6 and they had definite feathering. That might have been caused by worn suspension or poor alignment, but I figure why risk it.

Only set of Contis I ever bought was some GT All Seasons for my wife's Accord. They had a bad vibration at highway speed from new, had them re-balanced, didn't fix it. Ended up scrapping them out and replacing with Michelins, vibration went away. Must have been bad runout on one or multiple Contis. That was enough for me to just avoid the brand altogether.

Could it be something else? Wheel bearings? Other bearings? Part of the AWD system?

It definitely could be something else, but I wouldn't say rotating the tires is a good way to eliminate them as the culprit. Did you visually inspect the tread blocks for any obvious unevenness in wear?

I've got quite a bit of tread left on these tires and they weren't cheap, so I don't think I'll be replacing them soon.

Responses above.

·
Registered
197 Posts
How much is the noise bothering you? It's a wasteful sort of suggestion, but would having a tire shop shave off about a millimeter of tread from each tire remove the feathered part and give you another couple of years of quieter driving?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much is the noise bothering you? It's a wasteful sort of suggestion, but would having a tire shop shave off about a millimeter of tread from each tire remove the feathered part and give you another couple of years of quieter driving?
Can they do that?

·
Registered
11 Posts

Our 2015.6 Volvo T5 AWD had "tire noise" from the beginning.... mile 1. I suggested they give the right front wheel a look where grease mixed w/ brake dust was clearly visible. "Just brake dust" came the predictable reply, it's tire noise. Only the right front was expelling grease; only the right front was sending noise but "just brake dust, tire noise" was the ever firm response. At 40k they removed the wheels and noted that only the right front disc was scoured, the other 3 perfectly normal. Brakes good all around as well. The grease was actually the bit they put on between the hub and the wheel to prevent dissimilar metals from oxidizing... but the factory rep had never heard of such a thing and had them remove the grease which of course, ignored the problem. The grease in the right front was only "melting" and expelling out the right front because the right front and only the right front [hub?] was heating up and melting the grease. That would be a bearing to me but not these characters... they went back to tire noise, one suggesting an animal was doing his business on the wheel and to turn the car around. Give me a break, the car's always garaged. But, using your finger, lightly swipe each wheel... if it's brake dust, that's all it'll be. If it's more than that, your finger will tell you. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts