SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sound insulation for the VR

I found some spare time today to work on insulating the tailgate of my VR. Since the JRL mod, long trips (my routine) present a droning tone that radiates from the cavity of the rear of the wagon.
The entire process was really very simple. Everything came apart easily and snapped right back into place. Using a Dynamat-like product, first I cut small pieces and placed them into the cavities of the tailgate against the back of the exterior metal. Then, I applied one complete sheet, 48"x16", on the lower portion of the tailgate.

This is step one; I will address the spare tire area next.
Kudos to AlexD and his post on V70R.com.http://www.v70r.com/forums/ind...id=43
Scott

Modified by Lightspeed at 4:42 PM 8-30-2008

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continued- Sound insulation for the VR tailgate (Lightspeed)

So, I've completed this project with the application of the Dynamat-like material to the spare wheel cavity and surrounding areas. (I really don't know who makes it, but I've held it side by side w/ Dmat, and it seems identical). I ran the material up to the pivot point of the rear seats. [Be sure to wipe down all areas w/ a damp cloth to remove all surface dust before you begin.]
Additionally, I picked up some undercoat rubber spray and treated the cavities around the wheel wells and the inside of the rear side panels.

Forgive me as I don't recall, but someone else here recently did the same project. I can only emphasize what they reported:
-interior car noise is significantly reduced.
-if you have a sub, performance is enhanced. Tighter and cleaner.
-if you have a VR, you MUST do this mod.

Note the wheel well and cavity behind it are coated w/ spray rubber.

Spray rubber stuff

Gratuitous dog photo- Chase the Pug

The project takes some time and can be sticky/messy, but the results are immediate.
The tailgate alone made a great difference; treating the interior as well has added a nice "quiet" that fine cars have.
Well worth the time. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
Scott

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Re: Continued- Sound insulation for the VR tailgate (Lightspeed)

Did you do any other areas? How much of the material did you use? (i.e. sq. ft)
Did you have to get a special roller for application of the mat (i.e. wooden roller to press it down) or was it all hand applied?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Continued- Sound insulation for the VR tailgate (rgrove)

Quote, originally posted by rgrove »
Did you do any other areas? How much of the material did you use? (i.e. sq. ft)
Did you have to get a special roller for application of the mat (i.e. wooden roller to press it down) or was it all hand applied?

All metal is treated from the rear seat pivot points back, except the roof (thinking about that someday).
Material I used is 16" wide x ~16feet long. And I used one can of spray.
I used a wooden roller typically for wallpaper application for the edges and pushing into shapes. I had a high-heat air gun on hand to soften and help in forming, but did not need it as local temps have been 80F+. If you do use a heat gun, have a pair of thick leather gloves at hand.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Bumping this thread as my catback is in transit. Any more reviews after insulating/recommendations of dynamat-like material that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I used "dynamat-like" material on the doors of an old audi years ago. It helped with quieting the cabin down but in the summer months the high heat caused the adhesive to liquify and run down the bottom of the door. Be mindful of the cheap stuff. I would think that the rubberized spray would be the best route to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Any chance these photos could be re-hosted?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Over the years I have sound dampened hundreds of cars.

The cheap stuff (like rolls of grace ice and wind barrier) work fine, but the adhesive it comes with sucks, and during the summer gets hot and lets up.

Dynamat works great, but costs WAY too much. Even at employee cost I still felt it was too expensive, and the customer service is ****. Never buying dynamat again.

I have used both Second Skin spectrum spray in, and RAAM audio products in my personal cars with very good luck. Both of the guys that own these companies are good to work with and enthusiasts just like us.

The best is when you do a mix of the spray in, roll on, and foam with adhesive to absorb sound. The down side is the spray in stuff is super labor intensive. It's almost as much prep work as painting a car.

I did my 1997 Lexus SC400 with 90 square ft of Dynamat Extreme, 5 gallons of Second skin spectrum sprayed in, and carpet padding, Polly fill stuffing in all of the interior frame rails and unibody frame sections.

That car was so quite that the very small amount of air that leaked through the sun roof weather strip drove me insane.

The good part is that even though doing the spray in dealing is time consuming, it's not hard at all. Just a bunch of time carefully pulling the interior and putting it back in, and lots of time masking.

After driving the V70R for so long I feel that it really needs some sound dampening with the open wagon area.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Over the years I have sound dampened hundreds of cars.

The cheap stuff (like rolls of grace ice and wind barrier) work fine, but the adhesive it comes with sucks, and during the summer gets hot and lets up.

Dynamat works great, but costs WAY too much. Even at employee cost I still felt it was too expensive, and the customer service is ****. Never buying dynamat again.

I have used both Second Skin spectrum spray in, and RAAM audio products in my personal cars with very good luck. Both of the guys that own these companies are good to work with and enthusiasts just like us.

The best is when you do a mix of the spray in, roll on, and foam with adhesive to absorb sound. The down side is the spray in stuff is super labor intensive. It's almost as much prep work as painting a car.

I did my 1997 Lexus SC400 with 90 square ft of Dynamat Extreme, 5 gallons of Second skin spectrum sprayed in, and carpet padding, Polly fill stuffing in all of the interior frame rails and unibody frame sections.

That car was so quite that the very small amount of air that leaked through the sun roof weather strip drove me insane.

The good part is that even though doing the spray in dealing is time consuming, it's not hard at all. Just a bunch of time carefully pulling the interior and putting it back in, and lots of time masking.

After driving the V70R for so long I feel that it really needs some sound dampening with the open wagon area.
Decided to try some RAAM from your recommendation and those on other forums. Looking forward to trying it out.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you don't have a set of the mechanics gloves already buy a set at Walmart, along with a brand package of razor blades for the utility knife, and one of the wooden rollers from HD/lowes. Be careful with the cut edges of the metal backing on these products as depending on how you cut it, they can leave some serious widow makers just waiting to slice up your fingers.

A lot of the new products say they are sticky enough to not need cleaning before applying, I still do and I have found both Real TSP and the cheap bottles of rubbing alcohol from Walmart to do a very good job cleaning for cheap.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
If you don't have a set of the mechanics gloves already buy a set at Walmart, along with a brand package of razor blades for the utility knife, and one of the wooden rollers from HD/lowes. Be careful with the cut edges of the metal backing on these products as depending on how you cut it, they can leave some serious widow makers just waiting to slice up your fingers.

A lot of the new products say they are sticky enough to not need cleaning before applying, I still do and I have found both Real TSP and the cheap bottles of rubbing alcohol from Walmart to do a very good job cleaning for cheap.
:thumbup: Good stuff. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Yeah... My wagon has some rattles that drive me bonkers. A lot are gone now that the rear shocks are no longer abusing the trim back there with every bump but it is still pretty annoying. Dynamat is in my future for the rear of the car and the door panels. That should get rid of most of it for the least amount of work. I once 4C crashed over a bump so bad the trim around the interior cargo light broke... Still have to replace/glue the plastic panel.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Yeah, the crash you get from old 4c struts is TERRIBLE.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Couple that with hard summer tires in 40F weather this spring on i84 and well... Lets just say it was enough to rattle teeth even in comfort. Now with more pliable tires and new struts the R is in sport all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts