SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<br>I recently bought a '93 Volvo 460 GL with a 2.0 engine. I'm happy with it, since it <br>is comfortable and fun to ride. It did not cost too much either, 4 % of the price of<br>a 2007 V 50 1.6 D here in Norway.<p>I have an annoying sound that seems to appear from somewhere in front of me<br>when I'm driving. My guess is that it stems from some metal parts rotating and<br>being in contact with each other, but definately a sound that should not be there.<br>The strongest frequency component in the sound, that I can hear, seems to follow<br>the speed of the wheels.<br>If I put in the clutch pedal it does not change.<p>Could it probably be one of the bearings for one of the front wheels, or could<br>it be something related to the manual gearbox?<br>I went for a ride of about 10-12 minutes and tried to use my fingers to sense<br>any difference in temperature in the center of each of the front wheels, as well<br>as the brake discs. I could not sense anything special. Turning the steering wheel from side to side did not produce any differences in the sound that I could hear.<p>A friend suggested that there could be a low oil level on the gearbox.<p>So, if it's bearings, something related to the gearbox or other places in the <br>drivetrain, I don't know.<p>Could someone please suggest any solutions to how I could try and diagnose<br>this myself? Other hints?<br>Thanks in advance,<p>460 owner, Norway

1 - 1 of 1 Posts