SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered 80 sq feet of Second Skin Damplifier and 75 sq feet of 1/4 Volara closed cell foam to do some soundproofing while I have the door trim panels off for my folding mirror install.<p>Does anybody have any experience with this? I'm hoping that this will be enough for all 4 doors and the trunk on the S60, plus have some leftovers for the floor and rear seat.<p>I'm guessing 6 sq feet per door, 20 for the trunk, leaving 36 of the mat for the rest. Plan for the foam is lining the door trim panels, and some of the floor.<p>Dynamat was just too damned expensive.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Sound dampening questions (partridge)

Updated:<p>I just installed dampening on all four doors. outer door (very outside of car) and inner door (towards the inside of the car). Took about 4 sq feet per outer door, plus another sq foot or two to get some spots on the inner door. Didn't go too crazy with the inners except on the back doors where there were some trouble spots vibration wise. I also stuck a layer of the 1/4 foam on the door skins with spray glue. <p>Now the doors close with a nice solid thunk (no more tinny vibration). The difference in sound is significant. I think I may have one more rattle with very heavy bass to sort out on the driver's door, but it might have just been the connector for the tweeter rattling about (that I forgot to connect on the first go).

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

I put about 90 square feet of 'b-quiet' damper in my s60. The key spots for keeping the outside noise out are the doors and the front firewall (and under the center console if you have an upgraded exhaust with different resonators). <p>Putting it in the trunk does not help keep sound out very much but it does help keep the base in if you have a sub in the trunk. The difference is amazing if your sub is properly located at the back of the car and facing the rear. <p>Results: overall the difference was fantastic. My goal was to tone down my heico Exhaust. The car is quieter than stock now. <p>The other location place you might try if you have material left over is the front of the headliner - cuts down the wind noise

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Sound dampening questions (ss60)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ss60</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put about 90 square feet of 'b-quiet' damper in my s60. The key spots for keeping the outside noise out are the doors and the front firewall (and under the center console if you have an upgraded exhaust with different resonators). <p>Putting it in the trunk does not help keep sound out very much but it does help keep the base in if you have a sub in the trunk. The difference is amazing if your sub is properly located at the back of the car and facing the rear. <p>Results: overall the difference was fantastic. My goal was to tone down my heico Exhaust. The car is quieter than stock now. <p>The other location place you might try if you have material left over is the front of the headliner - cuts down the wind noise</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Where did you install on the firewall? Inside the passenger compartment or in the engine compartment? I was thinking of pulling up some carpet to lay down some of the dampener and foam in the footwells.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

I put mine on the inside (cabin side). <p>The footwell carpet pops out pretty easily.<br>Process :<br>-remove the side panels from the centre console<br>-the shin guard panels from the front<br>-the bolt holding the hood release handle.<br>-then loosen the seat bolts (it's pinned down under the front two)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Sound dampening questions (ss60)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ss60</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>The other location place you might try if you have material left over is the front of the headliner - cuts down the wind noise</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Where did you put it there? On the metal or on the headliner (looked like cardboard to me). Also, I managed to get the front of the headliner down (pulled the over door handles, sunshades and the sunroof console) but I can't figure out how to separate the headliner from the sunroof trim.<p>On the bright side, I did put some strips on the inside of the A-pillar trim and the little triangles by the side mirrors.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

On the metal (Putting it on the liner won't have the same effect). I just went for the leading edge of the roof.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Lame question. How easy does the sound dampening stuff come off, especially if your using spray on glue. What if something goes funky, ie the window motor needs replacing. That said, how the heck does the window stay clear of the foam? Oh let the flames begin... *runs*<p>It just sounds like a pain when repair time comes along. I wonder what the dealership will start charging for labour...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (GuelphVolvo)

It basically doesn't, so be VERY careful when you put it on.<br>Dynamat is the easiet to use and so thin it usually doesn't get in the way of window mechanisms

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (hastee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>hastee</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dynamat.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>??

·
Registered
247 Posts

I'm going to try doing my two rear doors this weekend and if all goes well, the two front doors the following weekend.<p>Do you have any pictures of what things look like when the Dynmat is applied to the inside of the door? The Dynamat instruction state that the existing speaker should ideally be removed first, but as I recall the Volvo speakers use rivets. Any other tips to eliminate rattles in the door?<p>Thanks!<p>2005 V70 2.5T w/Dolby PL2 audio.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

partridge - how many feet of that volara foam did you get to do the stuff you did?<p>I have liquid dampening from second skin as well as the mat. I plan on layering the mat and then put a coat of liquid dampening (to even out the look, don't like shiny metal). I like the idea of adding a little bit more padding on the panels.<p>BTW, any pics of your progress?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts