SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help......

2001 S60 89k miles

The car was seemingly taken care of but I don't know much about the maintenance. I've owned it since March with zero problems....until now.

From a dead stop-
No sounds as long as I'm accelerating. When I do take my foot off the pedal, I hear an almost thumping sound coming from the wheel well.
It is in conjunction with my speed.

As long as I'm acceleration or braking....nothing, but once I take my foot off or drive real slow (like around a parking lot) it's there.

It seems to be greatest (loudest) at super slow speeds and 35-40mph.

The only way I can describe the sound is that it's not a knock or a thud, but more of a flapping (not a loose piece of tire or something though) or thumping.

It is consistent with speed, but only makes the sound when I am coasting or driving really slow.

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

*I tried a search to no avail.

Brian

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't think I have an answer but, I assume you have checked your tires - Could it be a loose wheel well lining?
Is is it coming from the front, rear, passenger or drivers side?

If you wait a while some others will chime in with some suggestions I'm sure.

Welcome BTW.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
try rotating the tires and see if it goes away or if it moved to the back

sound like you may have broken radial belt

mine is currently making a similar noise too but im waiting to get new tires

might be your alignment was bad and the tire got messed up, so a new tire will only cure the symptom and not the problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
A friend of mine had a similar noise and it turned out to be the left rear side of the underbody panel. The screw was gone and the panel flopped around underneath the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone!

I'm going to do some looking this afternoon. Hopefully it will be one of these problems!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed!

Went to rotate the tires and found that all 5 of my lug nuts on my driver's wheel were loose!

Could have been bad, real bad!!

Thanks again to everyone for chiming in!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts