SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My 99 V70 AWD turbo has a pretty noisy ticking sound coming from the engine. The sound has been there since I originally bought it 3 years ago. I've replaced the spark plugs with OEM and torqued them down to spec. I think it may be the injectors, but I am unsure. I've included a link to sound. Any suggestions would be great, and any fixes would be amazing, thank you!

https://soundcloud.com/brushes-combs%2Fcar_new-m4a-1

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,458 Posts
Sounds just like my car.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Injectors don't make that much noise, use a stethoscope or long screwdriver to your ear on an injector to determine if you think that's what making the noise.

Has the head ever been off? 3 years/same noise = smile and drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Injectors don't make that much noise, use a stethoscope or long screwdriver to your ear on an injector to determine if you think that's what making the noise.

Has the head ever been off? 3 years/same noise = smile and drive.
I will definitely test that out and get back to you. I assume I'm just checking if the sound is amplified on any of the injectors?

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,458 Posts
Yes. Sounds like a Volvo.

·
Registered
2007 V50 T5 AWD Manual, 1998 V70R
103 Posts
My 99 s70 awd did that, and my 98 v70R does it. It goes away slightly after an oil change, but not really. IT will also go away if you pour in oil as its running, and with the marvel mystery oil added with your oil it get's much quiter, advice from a volvo shop owner. It's weird because I've heard other s70 v70 of the same year that don't do it at all. I think it's the hydraulic lifters. It really bothers some people, I got told my car was too loud to come to someones house at 3am last month, ha!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 99 s70 awd did that, and my 98 v70R does it. It goes away slightly after an oil change, but not really. IT will also go away if you pour in oil as its running, and with the marvel mystery oil added with your oil it get's much quiter, advice from a volvo shop owner. It's weird because I've heard other s70 v70 of the same year that don't do it at all. I think it's the hydraulic lifters. It really bothers some people, I got told my car was too loud to come to someones house at 3am last month, ha!
Interesting! Thank you for your response. My car seems to be at proper oil level, had the transmission rebuilt and new alternator put in about a year ago. Shop was kind enough to top it off haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will definitely test that out and get back to you. I assume I'm just checking if the sound is amplified on any of the injectors?
So it doesn't really seem to be the injectors. Funny enough, I took our the air filter while the car was on to look for clogs, and the ticking began to get louder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine makes the exact same noise too. Had any luck with it?
So far not much really. I did top off the oil. I isolated the whining noise to be the power steering pump. The fluid level is fine so it's still an ongoing investigation. I also discovered a potential oil leak on the rear passenger side of the engine. Perhaps a turbo return line? I ordered a VADIS DVD on ebay, hopefully will help me part location.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts