SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm experiencing a sort of thumping like sound over bumps only on front right and I think only under 40 MPH or so. It does not happen over speed bumps. It's just a different sound than when the left front wheel goes over bumps.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: Sort of thumping sound front right, over minor bumps (iamnotmad)

Possibly spring seat, maybe end-link. The "thumping" sound makes me lean more towards spring seat though.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Sort of thumping sound front right, over minor bumps (T5 for Life)

Thanks for the quick reply, are these costly and/or involved to repair?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

how handy are you?

You could start with the end-links (get the heavy-duty ones from IPD), think they're about $40 a pop. They're real easy to replace, just connect the strut to the sway bar.

The spring seats are more complicated if you've never removed a coil-over assembly before, but they part itself is inexpensive. IPD also had heavy duty versions of that part.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Re: Sort of thumping sound front right, over minor bumps (T5 for Life)

Yeah sounds like the end-links. I just replaced mine with IPD this weekend.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Could be either or but most probably the spring seats.
Not cheap, about 2+ hours labor plpuis you need to align it afterwards.
Any Volvo mechanic can tell if they're shot.\You can too. Take a wrench and try to twist the nut on top of the strut (under the hood). If you can turn it more than a 1/4 turn, they're shot.
It cold also be a bad control arm bushing or a bad ball joint

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: Sort of thumping sound front right, over minor bumps (vizwiz)

if you've never replaced the endlinks, you might want to do it anyway. As far as I know, you can't tell if they're shot by visual inspection.

·
Registered
719 Posts
once you take the endlinks off you can tell if they are shot....my endlinks AND ball joints were useless i could bend them around on the pivots effortlessly with two fingers....one even flopped around...replace em

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Sounds like more of a spring seat, if it were endlink or anything else wouldn't he get a slight shimmy when hes driving at certain speeds?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the tips guys, I'm going to take it to a local shop here in Baltimore.

Has anyone had any experience with either:

1) Auto Haus in Mt. Washington
2) Autobahn of Towson

Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (iamnotmad)

Spring seat it is! And apparently both sides are hosed. Getting them replaced right now at Autobahn Towson. Got what seems like a reasonable price. This seems like a great shop.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: (iamnotmad)

Quote, originally posted by iamnotmad »
Spring seat it is! And apparently both sides are hosed. Getting them replaced right now at Autobahn Towson. Got what seems like a reasonable price. This seems like a great shop.

I'm local to Towson - never heard of this place. Please tell us more about the place and do they specialize in VOLVO's or are just very good mechanics?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »

I'm local to Towson - never heard of this place. Please tell us more about the place and do they specialize in VOLVO's or are just very good mechanics?

I just back back from my service there. I have only good things to say about Autobahn of Towson.

1) took the car in earlier than they told me. Actually it was in and diagnosed before they said it would be in.
2) Price was right - replaced both spring seats
3) Car was ready on time, or earlier than they told me.
4) They did not call me with all kinds of other "required" or optional services.
5) The problem was solved.

http://autobahnoftowson.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts