SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my R has some milage I have done some full acceleration tests in 2nd and 3rd gears...<p>Now I noticed an interesting effect... something that I hate...<p>When I shift @5000, push clutch, release throt. somewhat, engine surges to 6000... do it @5500 and it races to 6500... makes it impossible to get a proper upshift...<p>To be clear... that has to change! Anyone know what this could be... I suspect either software or a bad BPV.<p>At the shift point, it should hold RPM when I push the clutch and release throt, then I should drop RPM somewhat to be able to catch the next upshift point.<p>Any ideas ?<p>Regards,<br>Coolknight

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Sort of problem with my 06 R while I shift under full load. (Coolknight)

turbo overrun, shift more quickly (really)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: Sort of problem with my 06 R while I shift under full load. (JRL)

you sure you're not sub-consciously keeping your foot on the throttle or maybe pressing it right before you shift? I used to have this problem but then I just made it a point to completely take my foot off when shifting.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Sort of problem with my 06 R while I shift under full load. (XK120)

sequence should be release gas as clutch is heading to floor...

·
Registered
418 Posts

Same thing happens to me when I'm running up through the gears quickly. I don't like it either, but I think it is in the software design to keep exhaust emissions down (my guess). What I hate is that it is so audible with my lack of muffler, I'm sure nearby drivers can hear it and think I don't know how to shift. I DO, and the R is the only car that does this that I know of.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: Sort of problem with my 06 R while I shift under full load. (XK120)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>XK120</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you sure you're not sub-consciously keeping your foot on the throttle or maybe pressing it right before you shift? I used to have this problem but then I just made it a point to completely take my foot off when shifting. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Actually I noticed it too. I've been driving stick shift since 17 and this is the first car I owned with this rpm-racing behavior.<p>happens most often when you shift above 5500rpm

·
Registered
747 Posts
Re: Sort of problem with my 06 R while I shift under full load. (JimLill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JimLill</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sequence should be release gas as clutch is heading to floor... </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yup, and that's what I do too, and there seems to be a lag between my foot coming off the gas and the throttle closing. In my case, I've often blamed my slow '04 ECU, but Coolknight's is an '06. Could it be a bad throttle position sensor?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well my car is at the dealer today and they're looking into it.<p>Regards,<br>Coolknight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts