SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today for a first time decided to take my car and kind of abuse it on a closed track. On a straight away I took the car up to about 110 switched gears at around 5k not much more before 6k but I smelled a bit of burning smell. Not sure if the turbo is burning up old oil since I don't drive in boost too much or what not. I went for a second run and took it to 120 but the smell was not there at all or not noticeable at all the only difference I did is i switched 4th gear at around 4k instead of 5.

I guess all I am asking is it normal for the turbo or whatever it is to make that type of smell.

ps. Car runs fine no codes nothing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Did you ever replace the pcv on your car? I get that smell when I run my car hard (i.e highway onramp 20-->80), only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have not replaced the PCV not sure if it was done before me either. Yeah that was the scenario kind of from 30-80+ is when I got it. I wonder if its just the turbo burning excess oil because its going all out.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
It's probably from your turbo and it's probably normal. I get that too when I accelerate unusually hard. But my car has never had any related issues.
In regular condition the turbo won't run in full heat operation so you won't notice it but If you decide to floor it than you'll definitely smell the reaction.
It actually is a very distinct burning smell unlike others (plastic or else). I kind of like it :p

I think it comes from the flexible woven down-pipe elbow but I'm not sure at all... I can't think of an other location which exhaust gases would come from. I have too limited knowledge on the subject...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I had a smell like that when my coupler from the turbo to CAP had a crack in it.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Don't worry, you'll get all kinds of new smells from your car when tracking it. The exhaust & brakes reach temperatures not seen regularly. Dirt, rust, oil, etc. all scale off the super heated parts. Usually these parts look all nice & pretty again after a fast track session. :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys just had to make sure nothing crazy is going on. This is my first turbo car so that smell was new to me. As I said the second time around the smell wasn't there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts