Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So:

-2002 v70 T5 5sp

-45k miles

- Pirelli PZero Nero M&S inflated to 34 psi on all four corners

- Synthetic Oil

- New Air filter

93 octane

I've been curious/concerned about my fuel consumption for a while.

On a 2.5 hour trip, 2 hours of which were highway with intermittent hilly grades, travelling at an avg. of 72 mph, my trip computer reported I was getting 21.5 miles per gallon.

Around town/city I'm usually between 18-20.

I'm satisfied with town/city, but highway seems lower than it should be. Are my expectations off base? If not, are there other things I should be checking?

Yes, I've looked at the other fuel-related threads - looking for additional input here.

TIA,

Harry J

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Re: Sorry - fuel consumption question (harryj)

21.5 seems awfully low. Are you using cruise control? Also, hilly terrain will eat up some mileage (you never gain back on the downhill what you lose on the uphill). 72 is not that fast, but you'll find a big improvement in mpg if you back off even a few mph.

You might try for a tuneup and a new fuel filter if that's not been done lately.

·
Registered
36 Posts

It's possible (and quite likely in my opinion) that the computer is giving bad mpg info. I think it calculates your mileage based on the consumption of the most recent 20 miles driven, not a true average from the time you reset the system. I think it might be more accurate to just calculate your mileage the old fashioned way. Just reset your trip odometer the next time you fill up, drive around and note the miles driven the next time you add gas. Just divide the miles by the amount of gas you add and voila!, you've got mpg. More accurate in my experience.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Mine is set up almost exactly the same as yours, with slightly higher miles (66k).

If my commute stays at highway speeds, I average 27.5. That's with the cruise at 75 with occasional bursts to 85-90 to get around traffic clusters. If I start doing more in town stuff, or hit traffic, that goes down to 23-24. I found that the computer is pretty accurate when I check it manually.

Sounds like yours could be better.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Sorry - fuel consumption question (MineMapper)

Just check the recommended maintenence chart - fuel filter not scheduled to be replaced until 95k miles. Spark plugs are at 60k. Should I need to replace *either* this early?

Harry J

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

Quote, originally posted by harryj »
Just check the recommended maintenence chart - fuel filter not scheduled to be replaced until 95k miles. Spark plugs are at 60k. Should I need to replace *either* this early?

Harry J

You shouldn't have to, but you never know how the car was driven before you got it. And considering many of our compatriots on this forum, that could be pretty hard...

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Sorry - fuel consumption question (MineMapper)

Quote, originally posted by MineMapper »
Mine is set up almost exactly the same as yours, with slightly higher miles (66k).

If my commute stays at highway speeds, I average 27.5. That's with the cruise at 75 with occasional bursts to 85-90 to get around traffic clusters. If I start doing more in town stuff, or hit traffic, that goes down to 23-24. I found that the computer is pretty accurate when I check it manually.

Sounds like yours could be better.

I agree. I get at least 27.5 or even 28 mpg on the highway. Generally, mixed driving will yield about 24mpg for me.

His numbers are way lower than normal. Finally, I recommend that tire presure is set at 35 or 36 psi. 34 is not bad but far from optimal. That will also affect (negatively) the gas mileage.

Yannis

·
Registered
21 Posts

I also have almost the same setup as your car. (T5 5spd) with 75K. On a recent trip I averaged (per the computer) between 28-29 mpg with average speeds around 75 with no cruse ( I hate cruse control)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts