SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ha. Time for a headliner project! Anyone have any views on the best headliner adhesive?
Any tips from people who have already done this?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Second project for you: clean those seats! :p

·
Registered
195 Posts
are you going to dye/paint your headliner ? i want to get my front pillar covers off and my headliner nd dye/paint them dark so they match the interior a bit better than the cream they are now

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked all the sticky threads, but there's nothing too recent so just seeing if anyone else has done anything lately. And probably not, thinking of a new fabric altogether - I'm pretty sure that the dye won't stick to that kind of fabric (at least RIT) because it's a poly blend...poly dying is a nasty, time-consuming process that's done 99% on the industrial level. I've used some fabric spray paint that's meant for fabric with success, but it required a number of coats and the finish was decent, not excellent.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Most upholstery shops that I've seen use spray on contact cement to stick fabric. Spray both pieces and wait about 10 minutes. You will need help though because once the parts touch, its stuck so you need helpers holding it above the formed part while you slowly work your way from the center out sticking it down. Being very careful to make it even without any wrinkles.

Second project for you: clean those seats!
Thats why it took me forever to find a Volvo I liked. Everything I could find was beige/white and I would destroy that in a week. Really hard to find black interior.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
There is a Guy He was in NY or NJ I Believe about 2.5 yrs. back - both - Area's Hit by Sandy - did a few in Plaid Material .

Checked all the sticky threads, but there's nothing too recent so just seeing if anyone else has done anything lately. And probably not, thinking of a new fabric altogether - I'm pretty sure that the dye won't stick to that kind of fabric (at least RIT) because it's a poly blend...poly dying is a nasty, time-consuming process that's done 99% on the industrial level. I've used some fabric spray paint that's meant for fabric with success, but it required a number of coats and the finish was decent, not excellent.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know the look grew on me too! Until it started blocking visibility. Then I figured may be time to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
3M super 90 spray adhesive works really well, it's what I used when I did my headliner in my project car. Beware of using contact cement as you do not want to see ridges (from dried glue) in the fabric. The keys to headliner reupholstering are prep work and patience. Make sure you scrape off the old adhesive to give the new glue a better surface to adhere to and take your time applying the new fabric to avoid creases!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
3M super 90 spray adhesive works really well, it's what I used when I did my headliner in my project car. Beware of using contact cement as you do not want to see ridges (from dried glue) in the fabric. The keys to headliner reupholstering are prep work and patience. Make sure you scrape off the old adhesive to give the new glue a better surface to adhere to and take your time applying the new fabric to avoid creases!
That's the same stuff that I have used in the past too. In addition to Moof's advice, I would say also be careful to apply just enough and not more. I have had the adhesive soak through the headliner before.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone have any pics of headliner projects (other than AJ)? Looking for some design inspiration as welll...thanks for the continued advice gentlemen

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I just googled "custom headliner", and pretty much everything there is disgusting (IMO). Though one caught my eye where they added speakers (cleanly) to the headliner. Apart from that kind of a thing, I would say just stick with the stock color.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
I've used the headliner glue from AutoZone and it works just fine and dandy. The reason for the headliner failing is always the headliner sponge, dry-rotting and turning to powder.

Spray the adhesive and wait for it to dry a little before pressing it to the headliner backing. If the adhesive is still wet, the glue will soak through the sponge and up to the surface fabric. That's why the instruction say to wait a minute or so. The glue will still be tacky but not wet. In fact the glue is very very strong. Once you put the pieces together, it will not come apart. So work on small areas.

Good luck and I second the advice to stick with the stock color or a tasteful but subtle pattern.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts