SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I´ve been Volvo-less for a month now (I traded my old 06 V50 T5 for a Focus last month because it was getting too old) and of course I miss my V50, even though the Focus is a good hauler.

Anyway, I just found out Volvo is going to sell the V60 here in Mexico anytime (If I just knew it before I would have waited with my V50) and I REALLY want one. I fell in love with the V60 since it was first released in Europe, but unfortunately not sold here.

I think they are bringing the T5 model with the 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo 240 hp engine, which is the perfect engine for my needs.

Just wanted to ask if there are any issues with the current S60s and V60s that I should be aware of before placing my order for a V60. From what I´ve searched in the forum, so far I don´t see people complaining about problems, so I guess I can go place my order and not worry about anything?

Can´t wait to be back on a Volvo wagon!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Some people report minor irritations such as a squeaky panel, others just find a fault with some aspect of the car's design (infotainment or transmission). But aside from a few fuel pump related recalls (fixed by software updates?) there hasn't been anything significant to note.

All in all I'd say Volvo did an excellent job in the initial reliability department.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Volvo introducing the V60 AND the V60 Hybrid in Mexico makes me want to drive the 5 hours I live from T.J. to go and buy one!!! Auuugghhhh!!!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Be sure to check out the spare tyre/tire situation in your market. Here in Australia, Volvo have just announced they are making available for the S60/V60 a space-saver spare as a no cost option. It used to be a AU$400 option.

Tony

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Volvo introducing the V60 AND the V60 Hybrid in Mexico makes me want to drive the 5 hours I live from T.J. to go and buy one!!! Auuugghhhh!!!!!
I wonder what the import and registration (EPA in particular) situation would be like.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
As long as you stay away from the new AWD you will have a great car.
Why? No one has reported problems with the Haldex setup, and most on here with the AWD love it!

My issues so far have been fairly minor:
Software updates, such as the transmission flash (adding "S" mode to 2011). Getting these from my dealer is like pulling teeth.
Leaky door seals in hard rain (replaced under warranty, no problems since)
Squeaky dash and door panels

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately many owners in Sweden of the 2013 Volvos with the new Gen. 5 Haldex have reported problems.

Volvo software updates made the system behave worse.

The system is not AWD unless you carry speed, from a standing start it is only driving on the front wheels.

This is by design and no software can cure this behavior.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies. I "hope" (still don´t know the exact specs for our market) that we get the FWD and not the AWD only. AWD is really not needed here since we don´t get any snow and I´m not taking it off road.

Its great to see there really aren´t any issues besides rattles and squeaks.

I´ll keep you posted as soon as I can get my hands on one!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have another question, is the 2.0 liter turbo the same as Ford´s 2.0 liter ecoboost engine? both have 240 hp... and since they used to be partners... I know the new Evoque uses this engine, is this the case with Volvo? That would be good because it will mean all parts will be readily available in case of any need

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Not sure where you're located but there's no 2.0 Liter turbo in the US market.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes the current T5 engine is a Ford´s 2.0 liter ecoboost engine.

2014 MY will be the first year fore the new VEA (Volvo Environmental Architecture) 2.0 liter engine.

In US the T5 engine is the old 5 cylinder RNC engine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked the US site and actually was surprised that the T5 is the same T5 engine that the S40/V50 had, i.e. the 5 cylinder turbo. Here in Mexico we have two base model S60s with the 1.6 liter turbo and 180 hp (which I also think its the same as the Fiesta engine with ecoboost), then above those are the T5 which have the 2.0 liter turbo with 240 hp (which is the one I want) and above that (and very high above in price) is the 6 cylinder Turbo T6 with AWD.

From what I found out the V60 will only be offered with the 2.0 liter turbo, which is perfect for me.

It´s strange that they don´t offer the "Ecoboost" engine in the S60 in the US when the engine is sourced by Ford and it would make finding spare parts very easy...

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh definitely its a good engine... I loved my V50 T5, it was very powerful. If at all the only problem was gas mileage, but I loved the 5 cylinder. I also loved the 2.0 T4 of my previous V40. that little wagon was a monster! really fast. The Turbo kick was amazing. The ford engine probably won´t be as extreme when the turbo kicks in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts