SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off let me say i have used the search function to try to answer my questions to no avail.
I am use to owning things with a few quirks as I a an avid Buell motorcycle owner. I currently own a 2009 Buell 1125CR. So i love to own something that others don't have.

Let me get to my questions. I am in the market for a 2004-2006 Manual s60r. I have been approved for a loan for 10k, plus a 1000 if need be give or take. I know the autos were different between the years but since im getting a manual that doesnt matter to me. What i cant find out is what are the differences between those years? On our buell forum we have every difference from every year listed. Also is there anything i should avoid in one of those years?

I have about 3 or 4 volvos im looking at. Only one is kinda close which test rode fine. So i am basing all the others off of how that one rode, I need to know what to look for since every other volvo is states away.

Here are the three that are the big ones im looking at.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3360400352.html
got the guy talked down into price, seems like the best car for the buck but seller doesnt even text in proper english so it has me on the fence. 1000 more but less miles and damage then next one.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...p-Man-Black-Gobi-Nav-NEW-Angle-Gear-Dallas-TX
Have been in contact with this guy, got a firm price on it but he is in texas and also has curb rash and will need a new hub bearing. But is a stand up guy so far.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...000&mmt=[VOLVO[][]]&listingId=330398893&Log=0

This is the volvo i test drove and the dealer wont drop any lower then 12k. Given the miles and price on the first one I prefer that but if there is something better on the 2006 vs 04 other then the years it might be worth getting the 06?

Hope you guys can help me out, and remember i have been using the search function.

Here are a few pics of my current baby, looking to add a vehicle i can be proud of too.

Hope you dont mind high res pics :)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
That link is anything but helpful

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
In 04 the trim was black, not painted the color of the body.

The 04 Center console is different than the 05+

The tail lights are darker on the 04 and any S60 pre 05

The seats on the 04 have more bolster to them

The haldex coupler is stronger on the 06+ ..I think

Just get as new as you can....an 05 would be better than 04 and an 06 would be better than an 05. But that shouldn't stop you from buying a really clean 04

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you SonicBlue! The first link person i was talking to is all shades of sketchy you can think of. Wont listen to anything i say and tells me "Stop with the BS and bring me cash now!". Co-co. So should i get the 06 thats closer with more miles and higher price tag or get the second one in texas that has a few problems but mainly is 9 hours away?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The ad on swedespeed looks good. The paint is nice looking and so is the Gobi. If you don't mind Gobi then check it out. Has a new clutch and angle gear too.

You can always buy the 05+ center console and stereo trim piece to make it look like the newer ones.

And you got the better seat bolsters in the 04.

And people paint the trim on 04s to make them look newer too.

The Atacama looks nice in the first link too though. If that's in good condition that might be worth a check. Get more pictures from the guy, looks like he took good care of it, rubber floor mats i see.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sadly the first one is out the window, owner seems to just want to rob someone when they come look at it. It's mainly in between the Texas one and dealer one (last two). And Gobi is a must :)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Love the bike! That is a MASSIVE rear sprocket!

I tend to always opt for the newer car, but if the 04 is in better condition and has a better maintenance history I would take that over the 06. Maintenance history on these cars is key, you don't want to buy one that hasn't been properly maintained or you'll be looking at big expenses right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The Dallas car looks best to me. The clutch and angle gear have been done. The milage is in range. The wheel curb rash is almost assured to be on almost any R you find. The cars are 5 or more years old and will have miles. The wheels are a bit vulnerable.
Wheels can be found or those repaired.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Adding to Sonics comment:

The 06's+ are a tad quicker. The Haldex unit has different software in the 06 that allows the rear wheels to be pre-charged with power upon launch. The 04-05 will have the power in the front and transfer the power to the rear upon demand. Lane hope got better through the years, but didn't get perfected until the S80 in 2008... so slightly difference in ride quality in the different years.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Loki? HULK SMASH! ;)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Any maintenance records on the 06?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes the 06 has a car fax. Lots of work done with the computer was the big note. But other then that had decent history with maintenance. I think ill go with the 04 since there is not to much of a difference and it has lower miles with a new clutch.

Thanks for the likes on my bike! Ive owned 4 buells now.

EDIT: Here is the carfax for the 06. http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...3|76|118|43|18|48|-9|-100|-27|17|-23|-75|-116

Im going to ask the texas guy if he can send me his car fax.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Good luck on your purchase. I personally knew before I started looking that I wanted an 04 SR. I have a really good friend who was a volvo mech for 10 years and is now the only mechanic that works on my car. He suggested the 04 over the other years. The only thing im not a fan of in the 04 is the trim pieces along the side but im getting them painted soon. I will say I have never enjoyed driving a car more.

Where are you from? This forum has plenty of east and west coasters but not nearly enough midwest R representation. Ive been forced to hang out with some.... M3 owners.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am from kinda both sides of MO. My family that i grew up with is near STL, Mainly Warrenton. I am going to college now at UCM so I mainly live in Warrensburg. There is a s60 2.5t there and i think there is another student with a s60r.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I am from kinda both sides of MO. My family that i grew up with is near STL, Mainly Warrenton. I am going to college now at UCM so I mainly live in Warrensburg. There is a s60 2.5t there and i think there is another student with a s60r.
No ****? I go to Mizzou, live in Columbia but my family is back in Chesterfield near St Louis.

Not a lot of R's around Missouri, but one is bound to pop up for sale sometime in the near future. I found mine in St Louis for around $12.5k, spent a few weeks searching though. It's a rare car in these parts for sure, I've only ever seen a few R's over the past few years.

If you find one locally and want someone to come check it out with you let me know, I'm no pro but I do a lot of work myself on my R, so I know all the things to watch out for lol.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah stefan i think im going to go get the one in texas. I got him to give it to me a great price given the mileage. Though i have to drive down to get to get it. Andi plan on doing all the repairs and mod work myself, i do all my bike work so its only natural. Also how is the overall reliability of the R's i havent heard that they get problems often. If they do get some are they easy enough to work on if you are mechanically inclined?

Also the clutch on the dealer one i test drove grabs in the middle, the R in Texas grabs in the middle also. Is this where all if not most of the R's grab?

Thanks for the link esmith!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK everyone i got an update. The texas car i can get for 10 and its is 8 hours away. Now i have this dealer http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/3350711980.html That will sell me their car for 11.5 and it has more work done to it with lower miles. Problem is the car is so far away i have to fly out there then i would be an hour away needing to get a ride or rent a car to go pick it up. Anyone on here want to help me on that? Other then that which do you guys think i should go with? The texas with a few more things wrong but cheaper, or the PA one which will cost a good bit more but has more work done to it and has lower miles?

If anyone thinks should get the PA one please let me know if you could pick me up from a airport and transport me to the dealer?

·
Registered
343 Posts
PA one might be an old member's blue silicone rad hose, repainted calipers...11.5 seems high...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts