SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just spent the day tearing down the whole intake of the car. I was getting a MAF code on a new MAF from Volvo so I took the whole system apart, air and vacuum, and cleaned it all.

Pulled out the intercool and to my surprise about a cup of oil came out of it. Somehow, I don't know how it got in there. The PCV was done a few years ago before it went bad. Well ten cans of maf cleaner later the whole system is clean.

Ive only driven it about 10 miles since then, I noticed some difference but mainly there was no MAF code, so fingers crossed I guess the oil was the problem.

O ya, I cleaned all sensor too.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
yeah i would wanna check your turbo, thats not a good thing, but it might be a really slow leak considering who knows how long that leak has been pooling into the intercooler.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The oil probably came from the turbo and flowed down stream to pool in the IC.
Did you get lots of blue smoke in the exhuaust?
No smoke. The check engine light came back on after about 25 miles of driving today. Still no smoke and its throwing MAF code. IDK what to do anymore. Anyone want to buy an s40? 5000 dollars to the first person with cash.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
No smoke. The check engine light came back on after about 25 miles of driving today. Still no smoke and its throwing MAF code. IDK what to do anymore. Anyone want to buy an s40? 5000 dollars to the first person with cash.
Sounds like a deal...
MAF code is rarely a bad MAF. :) Do you have the Volvo code or just the generic OBD2? Usually it's unmetered air of some sort entering the system.
I took the whole system apart, air and vacuum, and cleaned it all.
You have a good jump on things. Think about any location air could possibly enter that you haven't checked. The pipe above the PVC, still plastic? Any oil visible? Power brake system, leak, bad check valve?
Don't sweat the oil in the intercooler.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would an O2 sensor definitely throw a code? I've rechecked all intake tubes and vacuum lines. I then sprayed with ether to double check.

after visiting Volvo my long term fuel trim is too high, that could be from a million things.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A bad 02 sensor will almost certainly throw a code. Ether (or carb spray) is a pretty good test. You can be pretty sure whatever you checked is OK. Long term fuel trim correlates with the MAF error. Let us know all the error codes you have + any driveabilty symptoms.
Long term upper limit would mean that the first oxy sensor is sensing a lean mixture. It's telling the computer to dump more fuel. A couple "outside the box" things to consider... Low fuel pressure. Funky FPS readings are pretty common on the turbos. Another would be an exhaust leak before the oxy sensor.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just replaced the FPS, TCV, CBV, MAF, air temp sensor on intercool, Coils, Plugs. I will look at turbo again tmrw for a crack or leak in exhaust. Im stumped tho. My WG may be set a tad high so Ill readjust that just for good measure. Its time for an oil change so maybe a can of sea foam in there for a day will clean out the PCV system and oil passages.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Now I see why you are frustrated.
I wouldn't bother with the Seafoam unless the oil changes have been neglected. Something else is going on here. Get the codes & we can devise a step by step troubleshooting procedure.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Yes, there has been a few Cast Iron - Crack inside Turbo Exit , but don't Know If that would allow Oil to seep in .

Could be Worn - I found that Borg Warner - runs some pretty sloppy Tolerances on their Turbo's . ( They Claim it is allowing more Oil for Cooling )
( Cooling Oil is Centering and Floating Turbine Shaft - based on - Oil Pressure ) I really could see a much better way of doing that !

Side Note : A number of Us have had some Oil 1-2 table spoons maybe ( 1 ) Teaspoon , I'm just wondering as some sights are - Now Listing Silicone Hoses to be - NON Compatible with Oil ? :eek:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya ill get them when I get out of my lab today. also dealing with lower control arms replacement so im busy.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DTC's are \

ECM-1230 Air mass Signal too low
ECM21AD long term fuel trim load bank 1 lower limit
ECM-21ED Long term fuel trim bank 1 signal too low
and finally
ECM9800 Engine control module torque signal internal fault-This one was stored but not active. Did cause fuel cutoff at idle though when it was active.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The mystery intensifies. Fuel trim at lower limit. You are actually running rich. I think that may be slightly easier to diagnose.

"Check the intake system for leakage. In particular, check the hoses and hose connectors between the mass air flow (MAF) sensor and the throttle unit. Check for leakage and damage."

Check your PMs, we can take this off-line until, hopefully we can get a fix. You can then post back with all the gory details.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Check for leaks in the brake booster and/or the "vacuum" plumbing attached to the air intake piping.

You say the CBV was recently replaced. Have you rechecked the line from the intake manifold to it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts