SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I was waiting in my xc90, when I noticed something weird.
My steering wheel is not perfectly centred with the instrument cluster.
At first I thought it was just the way that I was positioned in the seat, but then I placed a T-square ruler centered with the dash, protruding out over the centre of the steering wheel. Seems like it is a 1/4" or so off.
Not that this makes me love my car any less, but just thought it was weird.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
This past weekend I was waiting in my xc90, when I noticed something weird.
My steering wheel is not perfectly centred with the instrument cluster.
At first I thought it was just the way that I was positioned in the seat, but then I placed a T-square ruler centered with the dash, protruding out over the centre of the steering wheel. Seems like it is a 1/4" or so off.
Not that this makes me love my car any less, but just thought it was weird.
This is likely from a wheel alignment where the tech either didn't pay attention to centering the steering wheel first or ensure it stayed centered while he adjusted the front wheel toe in. I really dislike it when they don't pay attention to that detail. On our V40 it's been off for a while and I meant to have Volvo fix it when they did some suspension work on it last year. It's really way off from many sloppy alignments at Firestone. I've just not bothered with taking it to the suspension shop that works on P-car :( .

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think the OP is referring to the column center line facing the driver and not the side-to-side centerline of the wheel alignment.
I see this in a lot of cars I own. Wonder if it's just for driver comfort or maybe to make the column collapse easier in an accident.

Others will weigh in shortly.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
yeah, 1/4 of an inch doesn't seem bad at all. I had a friend with a 90's bronco that was off by a couple of inches and the same thing with montero sports.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I think the OP is referring to the column center line facing the driver and not the side-to-side centerline of the wheel alignment.
I see this in a lot of cars I own. Wonder if it's just for driver comfort or maybe to make the column collapse easier in an accident.

Others will weigh in shortly.

Thanks,

Mike
Oops! I re-read and you're right! I was thinking leveled vs. centered :) thanks for helping explain what he meant. I've definitely seen that too; I'll have to check ours out as if it's perceptible I've tuned it out by now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts