SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somthing I heard

Ok I may be outa line here so feel free to chime in. Im not sure why but I think the Dodge SRT4's have a great sound to them. Not sure exactly why but I love the way they pop and burble at idle and then change to the loud intrusive maybe obscene yell at WOT. What makes them pow and sputter at idle and when coming off of the throttle?. How can I have this sound??

How can I ask this and save face around here

How will you guys think of me in the morning...........

-Caleb

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Somthing I heard (CSW)

Caleb -

Get the Jetex exhaust, it sounds better than the SRT-4. Seriously, it sounds amazing, I think 3 other R owners who have heard mine are getting it.

And I did performance testing with G-Tech and timed 3rd and 4th gear runs, no difference in performance with Jetex versus Svenske 3" (running stock boost), so it is a decent flowing system.

Quite a steal, I bought it from Jetex themselves in UK who charged more than parts for volvos online, but was willing to send it to my german address VAT free because I paid with American credit card. Parts for Volvos online will only send it to your APO address if you want VAT exempt, which means shipping is more expensive and takes a lot longer, so it works out to about the same I think.

Swing by ramstein if you want to hear it in person.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The main reason why srt-4's sound so good is because they almost come with straight pipes from the factory, the only thing in the way is a pair of cats... They don't run any mufflers or resonators... that'S why they sound like untuned carburated monsters, and are constantly backfireing...

You'll never be able to achieve the exact sound of an srt because, first off all the combustion cycle is very different, we fire 5 times in 2 rotations of the crankshaft (3-1-2-4-5) while they only fire 4 times... (not shure of the order: probab. 1-3-2-4) that right there makes a big difference in the exaust tone. We sound a little more smooth while also sounding irregular.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Somthing I heard ("R" Kelly)

Kelly I will be down there all day on Thursday are you near the Air Base or up on the hill by the hospital? I would love to check out yer car and mods. If not Thursday I guess I will have to wait till the Ring.

As for the strait pipe would this something easy to custom make? I have access to a shop with welding equipment ect... and experts to help me weld
also is it legal to run a car with no muffler? If it is and this is something I could make reasonably cheap I would love to do it. I guess the hard part maybe getting the flange (not sure if that's the right word) to mount the pipe to the stock cat. Also would there be any performance loss to running a strait pipe with no muffler or resonator? Sound is not worth performance loss to me.

-Caleb

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Somthing I heard (CSW)

As you can probably tell from recent pics, I live on base.

Maybe we can do lunch on Thursday? Or hook up around 1700?

I still have a muffler on my Jetex, the custom 3" collector replaced the 2.5" resonator section. I wouldn't even bother with custom burns stainless unless you have DP and are running higher boost. My performance tests indicate stock Jetex flows just fine at stock boost.

Although, since it is only $800, you can spend $275 for custom piece.
Pick up flanges from Verocious Motorsports.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (T5shortblock)

Quote, originally posted by T5shortblock »

You'll never be able to achieve the exact sound of an srt because, first off all the combustion cycle is very different, we fire 5 times in 2 rotations of the crankshaft (3-1-2-4-5) while they only fire 4 times... (not shure of the order: probab. 1-3-2-4) that right there makes a big difference in the exaust tone. We sound a little more smooth while also sounding irregular.

To me the R sounds so much better than an SRT. That little irregularity, as you put it, sounds great when you're really getting on the car. I call it a warble and I love to hear it scream. Too bad it's the wifey's car and you need to open up the exhaust to hear it properly
Perhaps I'll have the dealer remove the center resonator as part of the "cure" for the snow squeal if I ever hear it.

In any event, it makes me think of all those Audi Quattro rally cars I heard growing up. Awesome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts