SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Not a very clear picture yet, but she says the other car was shredded and our car was a tank. They claim their brakes failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry to see that. Hope everyone is okay and insurance takes care of your car.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Bummer.....nothing insurance cannot take care of for you!!!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I expected something completely different based on the topic description...

M
You had to go there didn't you......:)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I expected something completely different based on the topic description...

M
I misread the topic description as well and was too curious not to check this thread...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heh. Apologies for the title. It's an unfair comparison given the car behind is crumple zone vs the XC90 frame basically. But wife said the car locked the brakes and she couldn't even really tell the other car hit her.

·
Registered
613 Posts
LMAO, their lancer's brakes failed??? hmmm maybe it isn't a lancer but if it is, sounds suspicious.

Really blows that it happened to your brand new XC90...funny how she didn't really notice too...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, she was pretty impressed. She was hit less hard from behind on our Scion tC once and still has neck issues from it. With the XC-90, she said she was surprised when she realized the car had actually hit her.

·
Registered
300 Posts
When your XC gets repaired make sure they check and/or repair the WHIPS system. It will most certainly have been "triggered" and possibly protected your wife from neck injuries.
If you don't know what I'm talking about: see page #59 in your owners manual. WHIPS is a mechanical system and absorbs energy by deforming a special part in the hinge assembly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Happy your XC90 protected your wife.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Pretty sure one of the safety features in the vehicle is when a rear, err, re end ( ;) ) accident is sensed by the vehicle it applies brake pressure, tenses seatbelts and flashes hazards. Or something along those lines. Could be a small part of why she sensed less of a hit as well as not getting jolted as much.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Yeah, she was pretty impressed. She was hit less hard from behind on our Scion tC once and still has neck issues from it. With the XC-90, she said she was surprised when she realized the car had actually hit her.

and this is why, in part, we purchase a Volvo.........

·
Registered
226 Posts
When your XC gets repaired make sure they check and/or repair the WHIPS system. It will most certainly have been "triggered" and possibly protected your wife from neck injuries.
If you don't know what I'm talking about: see page #59 in your owners manual. WHIPS is a mechanical system and absorbs energy by deforming a special part in the hinge assembly.
+1

It's a must to check WHIPS. Although based on the damage, I wouldn't say it was certain to have been triggered. It wasn't activated when my S60 was hit from behind.

·
Registered
206 Posts
#1 Glade your wife is OK.

#2 So sorry this happened. Yes, insurance will pay for repairs, but this was your 'brand new' ride and that's disheartening. Our current car [other brand] was less than two months old when I had some space cadet lady back out of a parking spot right into my front bumper with me BLARING MY HORN to try to get her to stop. Hope your car car be repaired quickly so you two can again be reunited soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pretty sure one of the safety features in the vehicle is when a rear, err, re end ( ;) ) accident is sensed by the vehicle it applies brake pressure, tenses seatbelts and flashes hazards. Or something along those lines. Could be a small part of why she sensed less of a hit as well as not getting jolted as much.
The extra 2000lbs of vehicle probably didn't hurt either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts