SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello swedespeed members. im in the market for a xc90 to replace the wifes MPV minivan. Really like the seating arrangement and the prospect of having AWD, here in WNC we get a good snow once or twice a year and having AWD would be nice. I am a European car tech and have worked on quite afew Volvos and personally have owned a 240 and a 960 wagon in the past, I like the vehicles... enjoy working on them as well.

My experience with XC90's as far as working on them pretty much ends with the 2.5T. I have looked at afew and most of the ones in my area have been 2.5T but I haven't found one that appeals to me enough to buy. I have seen afew 3.2 R-design models forsale on autotrader that are semi local and I really really like the look of these. Can anyone give me some real world info on how the 3.2 does reliability wise, I have seen TSB's for oil consumption and READ shafts failing. should I just stick with the 2.5t? (V8 I like but I think the fuel would kill us)

thanks !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hello swedespeed members. im in the market for a xc90 to replace the wifes MPV minivan. Really like the seating arrangement and the prospect of having AWD, here in WNC we get a good snow once or twice a year and having AWD would be nice. I am a European car tech and have worked on quite afew Volvos and personally have owned a 240 and a 960 wagon in the past, I like the vehicles... enjoy working on them as well.

My experience with XC90's as far as working on them pretty much ends with the 2.5T. I have looked at afew and most of the ones in my area have been 2.5T but I haven't found one that appeals to me enough to buy. I have seen afew 3.2 R-design models forsale on autotrader that are semi local and I really really like the look of these. Can anyone give me some real world info on how the 3.2 does reliability wise, I have seen TSB's for oil consumption and READ shafts failing. should I just stick with the 2.5t? (V8 I like but I think the fuel would kill us)

thanks !

No one?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Question like yours comes up around once per week on this site and if you have the chance to read the last few months of threads, you'll probably find all the information you're looking for. It's that common an inquiry...

After that, if you have some more specific questions, likely folks will pop in and answer them for you.

Cool?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I own a 2007 XC90 V8. I have found that the 8-cyl does not produce the same gas mileage as tests. Mine averages 21-23 mpg with a mix of highway and city. Strict highway averages 23-24 mpg, and strict city averages 19-20, but I'm not exactly light on the pedal. The only hard part to work on is the alternator. I've heard the job averages 7-8 hours, but everything else is super easy and straightforward. There are tons of reviews and other people's questions on this site. Just Google the question you have and it should pop up on Swedespeed as one of the first answers. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
3.2 is also quite good. We've enjoyed ours quite a bit but in terms of fuel consumption, from anecdotal member feedback the rankings are 2.5T, V8/3.2. V8 drivers vouch for their economy. When in ENC we were averaging around town around 16-18mpg. Highway in the low 20s - these are our actual measured mpgs (as opposed to indicated by the OBC).

AWD is excellent and now living in real mountainous terrain (even more so than WNC) we appreciate it even more in the winter. It's a great all-road vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With our 2007 V8, my wife is getting 13.5 mpg consistently in strictly city driving, taking the kids back and forth to school, running errands, and going to the supermarket.

In mixed driving, we get 18-ish, and in 100% freeway driving, we're getting 24 mpg.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fellow WNC'er here checking in. We have had our 3.2 R-Design since January. Absolutely love it and had it in very icy and snowy conditions a few times. Sure footed as a cat come to mind.

As for mileage we are regularly knocking down 19 mpg when wife drives it mostly around town and about 21 mpg when more highway miles are in the mix. Plenty of power for the vehicle it is and accelerates well.

Jump on in, BTW if you see a red R-Design go by that would be us. Which town are you in? I live in Black Mountain.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just an update on fuel economy on our 2007 XC90 V8.

I posted earlier that my wife was gettin 13.5 in strictly city driving. The wife was tired of the poor mpg, and went back to our XC70 Cross Country (2.5t) for driving the kids back and forth to school and going to the grocery store. FWIW, the XC70 is now averaging 17.8 mpg.

She now only drives the XC90 V8 when her errands include driving on the freeway. The car is now averaging 17.5 mpg.

Not too shabby.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My mpgs have dropped lately. I was averaging around 21 with my 2.5. Now I'm only getting 17-18. I guess I'm driving it a bit harder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think my wife is zipping around and driving with a lead foot.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My xc90 2.5 went from 18.5mph to 15 since the weather changed. My gf's s40 t5 went from 20 to 17. Maybe it's the winter blend gas (is that actually a thing?), or weather.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Mine went down to 19 average when I put the rocket box and winter tires on. Add the give of the snow compared to pavement, and I'm down to 18.5 average.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
My wife has a 2.5T XC90 and she averages about 17. She used my S80 V8 a few days and averaged a whopping 12.5. YMMV.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Drove from DC to CT the other day, with three adults, a 7 month old, loaded full of luggage and christmas gifts, a running stroller, a kids bike trailer, had two mountain bikes on the hitch mounted bike rack, and a Yakima SkyBox LoPro with two pairs of skis and averaged 19mph with the cruise set between 75-80 as often as possible. That also includes a 20min detour through rural Jersey to avoid an accident on 95. I think that is pretty damn solid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts