SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

First time poster here. I am looking to purchase a T6 XC90 (Momentum+ vs Inscription) and just had some options-type of questions for you owners:

1) It seems like the Momentum's contour seat option has more aggressive side/thigh bolstering than found on the Inscription seats when I toggle between the two on the website. Is that what you've found on your test rides?

2) There's a difference of about $10k between a fairly bare T6 Momentum+ with wheel upgrade and Vision (or Convenience pkg) and a loaded Inscription (choosing from what's on the lots locally). Main question is: is the air suspension a must? I know it's nice, but how much nicer for those of you who have driven both? I'm coming from a minivan for the past 8 years with coils...

As an aside, I think the Momentum+ with the 20" black alloy wheels looks just as good as an Inscription save for the lack of the matte silver grill!

3) What type of gas mileage are you seeing in suburb driving?

4) In case I end up custom ordering, how long does it take to deliver?

5) Have you been happy with the power of the T6? I took a test drive and the 4-cylinder pleasantly surprised me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
1. No opinion
2. I came from Mercedes with air suspension. Don't miss it a bit on my xc90
3. With 600 miles 21 mpg
4 depends on model and options
5. Power is awesome on T6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Also, is the trailer hitch a dealer accessory that can be installed later? It's not on the build page.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1. Yes.

2. Air suspension is much nicer. Small, washboard type bumps are less intrusive, and the air suspension has better "fast bump" control. There's a giant speed bump I hit at 25mph in new cars (it's a long, flat bump meant to make you go 25mph, so don't worry about "abuse"), and the air suspension cars absorb the initial hit a lot nicer than the steel spring cars. I would not be surprised if people that are a bit less, shall we say, discerning about vehicle dynamics don't notice any difference at all, however.

One other thing about air suspension: height adjustability. I absolutely love the easy entry-exit feature that lowers the car--it's a home run of increased functionality wrapped in sexy looks. Plus, the car lowers in Eco mode (better fuel economy) and raises in Off-Road.

Doesn't that look badass? Makes me smile every single time I walk up to a lowered XC90 :)

3. Not sure, I only drive new ones :p Maybe I can ask my mom (I sold her that white Inscription, hehe).

4. About 3 months.

5. The new T6 AWD has PLENTY of power, but more importantly, good low-end torque. You never need to rev it, but there's power if you do. I've never driven the new XC90 and felt like it needed more power. And this is coming from a guy who drives McLarens and other supercars ;) My mom bought a 2.5T AWD XC90 back in '04 and I drove it many thousands of miles over the years. Now that was a snail. But you know what? It was only really an issue driving over mountain highways (like Pacheco Pass or the Grapevine) where you had to use full throttle just to keep up with traffic.

Also, regarding the trailer hitch, that is a port/dealer installed accessory. I have no idea why Volvo doesn't have it on their XC90 configurator.

An idea of what I deal with on a daily basis:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh, I forgot to answer one of your questions: "Is air suspension a must?"

No, I don't think it is. It's not like the standard suspension ruins the car or is unpleasant in any way; the air suspension is just a bit better. But of course, it's also more expensive ;) On the downside, obviously anything with moving parts is going to have reliability mysteries while its new, so we'll see how that works out in the coming years.

Now Bowers & Wilkins on the other hand...if you like music, that's a must :thumbup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with Hushypushy on the B&W and suspension! The B&W makes the interior look more luxurious in MHO...the dash, grills and yellow speaker cones are fantastic!

·
Registered
487 Posts
We all have different opinions, different budgets and different requirements. Imagine if we all picked the same car? That would suck... So, my .02 cents were that the B & W didn't make enough of a difference to me after sitting with both systems and test driving cars with both systems. Believe it or not, I also DID NOT like the look of the central B & W speaker in the middle of the dash! Call me crazy, but I like the clean uninterrupted line of the dash with the Harmon Kardon. As for the Air, I couldn't be happier with that choice!!! Having the ability to lower the vehicle for is pretty amazing - not to mention that it seems to have a nicer appearance when lowered for some reason. Again, just my opinion. If I were a complete audiophile junkie I would have probably gone for the B & W. I just know that I am constantly being harassed by my passengers to "TURN IT DOWN!" LOL.

·
Registered
130 Posts
1) No opinion.

2) We have the 21" rims with no air. Rides like a dream. If you have the extra $1800 lying around, go for it? But like many have said you could have issues down the road after your warranty expires. The big unknown.... Also, i firmly believe that your ride quality is only as good as the road you are driving on. If you hit a bump, you're gonna feel it regardless.

3) Haven't even gone through a full tank yet, so I don't know for sure (wife has been driving it).

4) It took us 2 months.

5) The power from the 4cylinder is incredible. Plenty of pep for this car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What does the interior ambient lighting look like at night on an Inscription? Color and location?
It is good. All storage areas are lit. You can choose the colour, or set it to vary depending on the temperature! Interior lighting can be dimmed with a wheel on the dash...I like it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
interesting...in the U.S. we can only change the mood lighting color but not the ambient lighting which is a soft white only. The interior mood lights reside in each of the above overhead lights which you can change the color for.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
1 - no opinion on seats

2 - I ordered the air suspension after driving both ... I'm really impressed and like both the feature to raise / lower the vehicle as well as the driving mode change. Subjectively - I think its a better ride.

3 - ymmv :)

4 - not sure: I use the OSD program ... takes a couple of days to build a vehicle and 5 to 6 weeks to get it to your dealer - so I guess it depends on the backlog in Göteborg

5 - put on 3,000+ km in Europe ... the drive-E is indeed awesome ... good performance off the line, good performance even when you're gliding along at 120+ km/h

The B&W audio system is impressive ... I really like the heads-up display as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What a weekend it was. After having a deal on a lightly optioned Inscription epically fail in the morning, i left the dealer and took it as a sign to go a little more "frugal" and closed on a Crystal white/Amber Momentum+, BLIS, Convenience, BW, 20" wheels. The interior is not as special as the Inscription's, but between the kids and sunblock, it probably is not worth it for us. My original test drives earlier must not have been on premium gas, because my ride home on premium felt much more powerful (comfort mode)! It is a testament to this SUV that despite me not taking a lot of the advice here (not entirely by my own volition), I still have a great, great machine.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Beautiful! Agree with absolut01, the 20" rims look great, especially against the white.

One quick question as I'm also considering the Momentum+ with the B&W sound upgrade, but without the Nappa Contour Sport Seats. On your interior pic, I can see that there are buttons on the B&W speaker grille on the top of the passenger-side door. Are these for passenger seat memory settings or is this for something else?

Thanks and congrats!

·
Registered
673 Posts
One quick question as I'm also considering the Momentum+ with the B&W sound upgrade, but without the Nappa Contour Sport Seats. On your interior pic, I can see that there are buttons on the B&W speaker grille on the top of the passenger-side door. Are these for passenger seat memory settings or is this for something else?
Mine doesn't have those buttons. They must come with the B&W system, since that's the only package that my car doesn't have. Seems kind of odd, though, that passenger seat memory would be part of an audio upgrade.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Beautiful! Agree with absolut01, the 20" rims look great, especially against the white.

Thanks and congrats!
Yes. These buttons are for the passenger memory seat settings... Weird that the non- B&W don't have those.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine doesn't have those buttons. They must come with the B&W system, since that's the only package that my car doesn't have. Seems kind of odd, though, that passenger seat memory would be part of an audio upgrade.
Yeah, I agree, it strikes me as odd packaging too.

If you use the Canadian Car Configurator, it shows that when you select the "Sport Seats in Nappa Leather" option, it includes the memory for the passenger seats. So I'm curious if that's what happened, but OP didn't list the Nappa Sport seats as one of the options he selected, and the picture doesn't look like it shows the thigh extenders or the extra bolstering of the Nappa Sport seats.

Sport Seats in Nappa Leather
Power Front Passenger Seat with Memory, Power Operated Seat cushion Extensions for Passenger, Power Operated Seat Cushion Extensions for Driver

Passenger seat memory is one of those handy features I'd love to have, but I don't want to pay up to the Inscription level to get them, nor do I want the Nappa Leather generally as I prefer the durability of the regular leather to withstand the abuse my kids will surely administer to the seats. But if I can get it through the B&W upgrade (which I'm already likely to get), then that helps seal the deal in my mind somewhat!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts