SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I just wanted to toss up a few pictures of my V70 T5M that I purchased a few months back and have been slowly working on and making my own. I picked it up for $700 with 300,000km on the dot when I picked her up.

When I first got it:

The red was super faded, and the previous owner seemed to not have any depth perception as they had scuffed all 4 corners of the bumpers so I decided with the help of a friend to paint the car myself, as I had always wanted to try my hand at it.

Here's the end result, and how it sits now

I have many more things that I want to do to the car over the course of owning it and can't wait to dive in!

For anyone wondering, the paint used is John Deere Blitz Black, it looks almost flat, but it's actually a satin black and does allow for a slight bit of a reflection.

So far I have replaced the upper mounts (the firewall and adjacent one) with the Powerflex Polyurethane replacement mounts. While there is some vibration felt through the car at idle, I personally enjoy "feeling the car" and it has made a significant improvement in the overall feel of the car, highly recommended, next to get done are the XC90 upper strut mounts to replace the failing stock ones.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Welcome to the affair with your new ride! After you get your top mounts taken care of, about the best bang for the buck in suspension improvements is a set of HD sways if it hasn't gotten them over the course of time. You might want the think about powder coating the wheels to complete the effect. I'm not sure I'm a fan of matte finishes on cars, but it is a big improvement over red IMHO, not a red hatter just not my favorite.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! the plan is to eventually go with a Cup kit for the car to get rid of the horrible wheel gap, but I may choose to stray from that and go with Air ride to retain the comfort factor. I've considered powder coating the wheels in gunmetal, but I think i'm going to go with a nice set of BBS RS's or the like, something classy and multi spoke in design. I do plan to get the sway bars done, as i'm sure it needs a refresh, they look original, same with the struts, definitely in need of replaceing.

As I go, i'll update this with pictures of the progress, it may take some time but it's an addiction haha building up cars.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
You may find that this forum becomes a significant part of your addiction if your not careful ;-) When I got my '98 back in 2001 it only had 40K miles on it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems like a great knowledge base here, looking forward to making use of it!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
To get rid of that vibration at idle, have someone put the car in drive and keep their foot on the brake. Then, while the car is in drive, loosen the top motor mount and re-tighten.

Thank me later.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
To get rid of that vibration at idle, have someone put the car in drive and keep their foot on the brake. Then, while the car is in drive, loosen the top motor mount and re-tighten.

Thank me later.
He says he has a t5M... In my experience they normally do not vibrate as badly.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
All well and good
Personally I would have gotten all the mechanical out of the way BEFORE I started any cosmetic work

·
Registered
3,788 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to say... haha, I don't mind the bit of vibration actually

Reason I did the paint right now was because I wanted to get it done (and the little spots cleared up) before the weather got rainy and cold which it has now :S winter is now one it's way it would seem :(. I have had the strut mounts for a couple of weeks now, just havent had the chance to do them with my work schedule in the way :S.

Good thing is, the "shudder" that I was feeling, is now almost completely gone, the mounts got rid of 97% of it :D

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
There are a total of 5 engine and frame mounts
Three "hard" engine mounts and two subframe hydraulic mounts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea I checked the hydraulic ones and they are good, the others are ok, but figure i'll upgrade the other mount to poly as well (as long as it's available) since it will im sure start to go now that the others aren't allowing for movement, it will be the next weakest point. Thats the one on the drivers side at the bottom correct? the large one?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
They are (well the tranny mount is) but personally I wouldn't.
It will vibrate like hell!
Been there, done that.

I personally like all rubber but if I use poly I only go with the top mount.
Yes, the other mounts will start to fail more rapidly now when only ONE new mount is installed

·
Banned
182 Posts
Nice ride. Do you know if it was originally red? I've read that there was only 1 V70 t5m ever made. You may have a 1 of 1 there..:thumbup:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Since someone brought up powder coating those wheels... I have and here is how they look in an attempt to approximately match the titanium center caps.

More info in this thread.

This or a darker shade would look real sharp with that satin black. I love Perfos on these cars.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Nice ride. Do you know if it was originally red? I've read that there was only 1 V70 t5m ever made. You may have a 1 of 1 there..:thumbup:
It's a fairly uncommon wagon. There weren't a huge number of V70 T5 Ms in 98, less in 99 and even fewer in 2000 but certainly more than 1 V70 T5 M out there ;)

A V70 AWD manual...there were 0 in the States and 7 in Canada and only in 1998. A couple of those have been imported into the US and a few more have been converted from auto to manual (3 using the factory M58 gearbox that I know of and a few more using the newer M66)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I've personally bought and sold about 12-13 1998 V70T5Ms and 5 1999s

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's a fairly uncommon wagon. There weren't a huge number of V70 T5 Ms in 98, less in 99 and even fewer in 2000 but certainly more than 1 V70 T5 M out there ;)

A V70 AWD manual...there were 0 in the States and 7 in Canada and only in 1998. A couple of those have been imported into the US and a few more have been converted from auto to manual (3 using the factory M58 gearbox that I know of and a few more using the newer M66)
I think he meant there may be only 1 red T5M. Whether or not that is true, I don't know.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I've seen at least three 98 reds and one 99 red

(No 2000s. There were no V70T5s for the USA in 2000, automatic or manual)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts